Multiple displays with Retina iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tatty27, Nov 13, 2014.

1. tatty27 macrumors 6502

tatty27

During my work I'm quite often dialled into 3 or four clients machines at any time plus have my own windows open too so I need to have a lot of screen real estate. I'm currently using 2 x Samsung 26" monitors at 1920 x 1200 on my pc and am now awaiting the arrival of my retina imac and I was wondering if anyone has set up or tried theirs with a second monitor?

I'm planning to keep one of the Samungs (got my mini displayport to hdmi adapter at the ready) for the time being in the hope that Apple bring out a higher resolution Thunderbolt display in the next 12 months or so but I was wondering if the difference between the resolutions of the Samsung and Retina screen are going to be workable and how the imac handles the difference between the screens.

2. kendrickhphoto macrumors member

You'll be fine with the different resolutions between the screens. It is very good at handling the windows being drug across the screens.

I have my Retina iMac with a Thunderbolt Display and a 27" Cinema Display and it's running them perfectly. I also have a 23" older Asus 1080P monitor that's hooked up to an Apple TV and used with AirPlay Display. It powers everything just fine.

[​IMG]

3. tatty27 thread starter macrumors 6502

tatty27