Multiple Displays

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by JordanJ, Mar 10, 2012.

1. JordanJ macrumors member

I have decided to connect a second display to my 27" iMac. The goal is to have Windows :mad: (through VM Ware Fusion) running on the alternate 20" Samsung display and leave the iMac for all the Mac stuff. I need Windows due to some Microsoft Applications (Access, Visio etc...)

Problem: If I open a full screen app (e.g. Mail) on the iMac, the second display goes into a new "desktop." I knew this would happen, but I was wondering if there was any way to disable spaces or more desktops on the second display. It would be fantastic no matter which space or application on the Mac I was using, the second monitor would always remain on the first space, using VM Ware Fusion.

I am running the latest version of Lion (10.7.3), and Windows 7 on the VM Ware Fusion (3.1.3). Please ask any questions that you might have.

Cheers!

2. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

This is one of the flaws in Lions's full screen thinking. It's meaningless for dual-screen user like myself too. I have an ACD 24" attached to iMac 27" but never use fullscreen mode now.
    Need to check with ML if there is any change.

3. alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

I really hope that Apple fixes the Lion Full-Screen setup as well. It kills the multiple-monitor users. :mad:

The second I installed Lion I wanted to have a Full-Screen Safari window on my secondary display, and a Full-Screen iTunes window on my main. I was sadly disappointed when one of my monitors was filled with a grey-leather-type graphic, while the other had a full screen application window. I was so pissed!

Such an unbelievably counterproductive implementation on Apple's part. I really really really hope they give us multi-monitor users a fix this summer with OS 10.8.

4. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Why would you want to run mail in full screen on an iMac's 1920x1080 screen anyhow ? :confused:

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

While I too question the utility of this particular use, Apple's full screen implementation is still sketchy. I wish there was a way to have Spaces operate separately per display, which would resolve these issues. I'm not sure exactly how they could implement that, though.

jW