Multiple entries in one table

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by DaReal_Dionysus, Jul 8, 2009.

1. DaReal_Dionysus macrumors regular

DaReal_Dionysus

Is there a way with php to enter multiple entries of data in to one table.

Example. if a person wants to enter multiple events on different date and time, but all at once.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

You're going need to provide more info. Are you talking about an HTML table or a MySQL table? What are you doing e.g., the context you're working in?

3. DaReal_Dionysus thread starter macrumors regular

DaReal_Dionysus

You not kidding!!! i just read my post and it was way too vague. Sorry about that AW.

Let me try again.

I am using PHP/MySQL and what I'm trying to accomplish is a way for me to insert multiples entries of data into a single MySQL table.

Example: The client is a golf course and he sells teetimes. I want him to be able to enter the teeimes for different times and dates.

Example of a tee time:
    Date: 01/02/2002 Time: 2:30 P.M. Players: 1 to 4
    Date: 01/02/2002 Time: 2:40 P.M. Players: 1 to 4
    Date: 01/02/2002 Time: 2:50 P.M. Players: 1 to 4
    Date: 01/03/2002 Time: 3:50 P.M. Players: 1 to 4
    Date: 01/03/2002 Time: 4:50 P.M. Players: 1 to 4
    Date: 01/03/2002 Time: 5:50 P.M. Players: 1 to 4

what i want to to accomplish is a way for the client to be able to enter all these times at once. But show up as separate items in a search and in the cart for purchasing.

Thanks guys

Neon

4. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

Just have multiple inserts in your php code. Simple as that

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Like NathanCH said, you can just make multiple queries to add to your DB tables. I use to think having so many calls to the DB on a single script would be slow, but it really isn't especially since you be able to keep the same connection open while you do the additions. So you'll just have a loop and enter each entry until you're done.

Alternatively, if the client doesn't really need to enter multiple records at once without sending the data you can just have a single record form and they submit as they enter the data. It wouldn't really slow them down I wouldn't think, but I don't know all the details either.

Though, if you really feel you need the ability to insert multiple records in one query, here's how.

PHP:
    $sql "INSERT INTO teetime (date, time, players)
      VALUES
      (2002-01-02, 14:30, 2),
      (2002-01-03, 15:30, 4),
      (2002-01-03, 17:30, 3)"
    ;
    (from: http://www.desilva.biz/mysql/insert.html)

6. DaReal_Dionysus thread starter macrumors regular

DaReal_Dionysus

Yes yes yes, brain fart guys. Thanks guys. I actually know that and I have know idea where my brain is lately. In my rear at this point lol. Thanks Guys that was exactly what i needed to get the brain going again.

NeonDork