Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheEdisonEffect

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2006
Tallahassee, FL
I have been trying to figure this out for several days now, and I'm lost. I have a secondary storage disk installed in my old Powermac G4. It mounts fine, and I can read everything on it. But when I transfer files to it, they seem to disappear.

Going into Disk Utility, everything seems fine, too. But when I bring up Terminal and go into /Volumes, there's something seriously wrong. The directory shows 'Mac HD' and 'Storage', the two volumes that should be there, but there are also 'Storage 1' and 'Storage 2' in there. The files I transferred to 'Storage' are showing up on that volume, but not on the duplicate volumes, and it appears that it is actually 'Storage 2' that is mounting. :confused:

So WTF is going on here? How did this happen, and how do I fix it? Since the files I need are on the original instance of the volume, it looks like I need to remove the two duplicates and re-link the mount point to the original disk. But how?

TheEdisonEffect

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2006
Tallahassee, FL
Thinking about it a little more, it occurred to me that the cause of this is the random freezing my computer has been doing lately... It gets improperly shut down pretty frequently as a result, which is screwing up the file system entries. So that part of the mystery is solved.

But that still leaves... how to fix it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.