Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deadherring

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2016
Hi all,

I have an early 2015 13" Macbook Air. I want to connect two external monitors to it. I know that the Air will support multiple monitors because I have a setup with a thunderbolt hub and a thunderbolt hard drive with two monitors. This is my setup:

Air-->thunderbolt hub-->monitor (via thunderbolt to hdmi)
Thunderbolt hub-->hard drive-->monitor (via thunderbolt to hdmi)

This works 100% perfectly. I have a second location in which I want to setup two monitors. I do not want to do the same as above because it is expensive. I do not want to use a usb-->hdmi adapter because I've tried them in the past and they made my computer crash constantly.

From what I've gathered, I can use an Apple thunderbolt display to daisy chain monitors, so Air-->apple display-->2nd external monitor (via thunderbolt to hdmi).

My question is, now that there are third party thunderbolt displays, can I do the same with them? Can I connect:

Air-->third party display (via thunderbolt)-->non thunderbolt monitor (via thunderbolt to hdmi)

Here's an example of a third party thunderbolt display: https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-PB287Q-.../?tag=imoreb-20&ascsubtag=UUimUdUnU38739&th=1

I can't tell from the description if this has a true thunderbolt port and if what i am describing will work. Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Nathan

deadherring

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2016
Thanks for the reply. That confirms my own research--that its either daisy chaining two thunderbolt monitors or two thunderbolt docks.

I did find this product:

https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adap...ations/thunderbolt-2-laptop-dock~TB2DOCK4K2DP

I called their tech support and they claim it will let me connect two external monitors to my macbook air, neither of which have to be Thunderbolt. I'm probably going to order it via Amazon and if it doesn't work, I can return it.

Any thoughts on whether it is likely to work?

Nathan

dhruvbonnerjee

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2018
Thanks for the reply. That confirms my own research--that its either daisy chaining two thunderbolt monitors or two thunderbolt docks.

I did find this product:

https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adap...ations/thunderbolt-2-laptop-dock~TB2DOCK4K2DP

I called their tech support and they claim it will let me connect two external monitors to my macbook air, neither of which have to be Thunderbolt. I'm probably going to order it via Amazon and if it doesn't work, I can return it.

Any thoughts on whether it is likely to work?

Nathan
Thanks Nathan, did the startech adapter work?

dhruvbonnerjee

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2018
Awesome. Am going with a Startech adapter as well. There's an issue with High Sierra 10.13.4 I'm told. Thankfully mine's still 10.13.3

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Hi,
I have been using the Startech USB 2 dongle for over a year and it works flawlessy
Are you running High Sierra?
I've been running 2 monitors on my MacBook Air for a while, but updated to High Sierra this week and they stopped working. Tried a few different ones (though not the Startech one), but no joy.
[doublepost=1529691006][/doublepost]
Awesome. Am going with a Startech adapter as well. There's an issue with High Sierra 10.13.4 I'm told. Thankfully mine's still 10.13.3
Tell me about it! Does 10.13.3 work okay then?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.