Multiple FAN discounts/accounts and some more questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dragonpnoy20, Jul 28, 2009.

1. dragonpnoy20 macrumors newbie

I would like to say that this would be my first post on these forums. I have been perusing these forums for a long time and I finally decided that I should join.

So here's a little backstory for my question (Hope you have fun reading :D) My brother and I wanted our family to make the switch from Verizon to AT&T because we both wanted Iphones :). I believe my brother has given up on persuading our parents to make the switch because the cost of the bill for a family of 5 and I know the bill would exceed $200. Thus my search began to look for any possible discounts that would lessen the cost. After some searching, I discovered the FAN discount. Although I didn't know what it was at the time I learned about it, but I thought it was the greatest discovery in my life (Well maybe not the greatest but anything with the word "discount" must be good :D). Anyways, I then found out that my father could receive this discount. After some further researching, I then learned that college students may also receive it. Since myself and my two siblings are in college, my question came up. Is it possible to have multiple FAN discounts/accounts?

After reading through the forums, I believe the FAN discount does not apply to the purchase of Iphones 3GS, text message plans, and some other things I may have forgotten. If you can post, along with the answer to my question, what the FAN discount go towards to and does not go towards to would just be splendid.

Also, if anyone has stories when they found out they can receive the FAN discount. Cause I've read that AT&T store employees would tell you if you are eligible to receive it or not. So if my family does make the switch, when should I tell the AT&T employees that we are eligible for a FAN discount.

And I'm really sorry for this wall of text. I just thought I should at least explain why I'm asking this question.

P.S. And I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum. If so, could someone move it to the proper forum. Thanks in Advance!

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I don't think you can stack discounts. I was on my Uni discount, but now on my employer's. The employer discount overrode the Uni discount when I switched it over.

The discount from college isn't very big either a lot of times. I think for our family plan the FAN covered the cost of taxes+whatever other "tax"/fees and a bit more, but not much else.

3. dragonpnoy20 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated!

4. dave006 macrumors 68020

First, thanks joining the discussion.

Now for some answers. No FAN discounts on the actual iPhone purchases. You also can't stack FANs but you can have multiple accounts. For example your Parent's could have an account and you could have an account with your siblings. The FAN is tied to the Account and the Person that is eligible for the FAN should be the Account holder (it should be in their name).

You can also have two different FamilyTalk rate plans under one account. For example; if your father has the best discount, he can have all of your lines under his account. If you only have 5 lines, you could use a single FamilyTalk plan or you and your siblings in college could have your own FamilyTalk plan but still have it under your father's name. It might be an option if you want to pay for your phone expenses or just keep track of your own minutes and txt.

You should do some basic research to see what discounts the various members of your family quailify for and then pick the FAN that provides for the best discounts.

Some background. FAN = Foundation Account Number that is associated with your account. This results in a National Account Discount (NAD) that will appear on your monthly bill based on the contract between your school, business or group.

The FAN provides a variety of discounts; some waive new activations and provide a discount on voice and data plans. Other FANs only provide a small discount on the voice rate plan.

Here is an AT&T page where you can check for any discounts based on your email address. So if your school or your parents work provide an email address you can check here for any discounts you may qualify for:

https://www.wireless.att.com/business/authenticate/

Dave

5. dragonpnoy20 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dave006, thanks for the well informed response. And I will research on who has the best discount out of my family.

I also have another question. Let's say for example, that my father's FAN provides a discount for the data plan but does not waive the activation fee but my FAN account does. Can we use my account to waive the fee and still use my dad's account for the discount for the data plan?

6. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

I wish but they won't. I had the same scenario - a college FAN vs an employer FAN. They told me I had to pick one, of course I'd go to the discount per month (in your case discount for data plan) cause it helps in the long run.

7. dragonpnoy20 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh darn. I guess we really can't exploit the system. :) And thanks for replying Rayfire.

8. dave006 macrumors 68020

Actually, you could do what you have suggested but it will take work on your part and there is a risk that you will not see all of the savings during the switch of the two FANs or worse that you will have a rep really screw up your accounts. :eek:

First a reminder, the Account should be in the name of the person that is eligible for the FAN. So you would have to have the account created in your father's name with the initial FAN to get the waived new activations. Next you would have to do a Transfer of Responsibility to your name on the account and then add your FAN. If your FAN group has an email domain that you can make the FAN change via the web to reduce any risk but if you have to have a Corp retail location verify your employment / group eligibility then you will be faced with the "Transfer" challenge.

Also, when you change the FAN it may take an additional billing cycle to be reflected in your monthly billing. This means that you risk losing more that you might gain....:( :eek:

Note: I hope you have good credit in your name since there will be a second credit check when you do the "Transfer" of the account to your name. You don't want to get hit with a $750 or larger deposit requirement...

Dave