Multiple Folders For Same Artist/Album

Discussion in 'iPod' started by scottydawg, Dec 8, 2008.

1. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

When I burn CDs that have someone performing with the main artist (for example, Colbie Caillat Featuring Juanes) iTunes creates a new folder with both of those artist and a folder within with the album and that one song. Is there a way to have iTunes just burn the main artist into one folder and album like it would normally if it wasn't featuring someone?
    If I am being confusing here is what I would have in my Finder:
    One folder is: Colbie Caillat > Coco > most of the songs
    Then I have a folder: Colbie Caillat Feat. Juanes > Coco > one song

Thanks in advance!

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

What I can think of is labeling the album as a compilation. However, this means that the entire album would be moved into a folder called "Compilations" as opposed to being in a folder with the artist name.

Apart from that, the only other thing I can think of is changing the artist for that one offending track to just the main artist.

3. scottydawg thread starter macrumors 6502

scottydawg

Not going into a compilation folder just the main music folder like this:
    iTunes> iTunes Music> Colbie Caillat > Coco >
    iTunes> iTunes Music> Colbie Caillat Feat. Juanes > Coco >

It has done this with a bunch of albums and while I can figure out how to clean them up, I would like to prevent it in the future.

4. ScootPatoot macrumors regular

I have two solutions. The first, which is the way I do it, is if someone else is on the track, label the "Name" tag instead of artist with this info.

IE - On E-40's new Ball Street Journal ablum he has a song called "Pain No More" which features The Game and Snoop Dogg. I have the song Name labeled "Pain No More (Feat. The Game & Snoop Dogg)"

This way the album will be in one folder and I can still see if someone else is on a song with the Album's Artist.

The second solution is to make sure the "Album Artist" is the same for all songs on a particular album. Now put in "Artist" field who is actually on each song.

IE - "Album Artist" Field - E-40 (For all songs on that album)
    "Artist" field - E-40, The Game, & Snoop Dogg (For the above mentioned song on that album)

The "Album Aritist" field should be the same for all songs on a album, unless it is a compilation. The Artist field can be different for songs on one album.

This way iTunes should still sort the album into one folder.