multiple/foreign keyboards for passcode entry?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aethelbert, Jul 1, 2009.

1. aethelbert macrumors 601

I am being forced to change my old passcode since it has been in use for too long. I want to add certain non-alphanumeric symbols to my phone's passcode since I believe that I need at least two. While I believe that they are both accessible under all keyboards, it is faster and easier to enter them via a keyboard layout that is not my phone's default. Both of these keyboards are enabled on the phone and can be accessed through the main apps (safari, notes, etc etc), but I am stuck with only one on the unlock screen. I've played around with it quite a bit but can't get access to multiple keyboard layouts for my passcode.

Is there a setting that I'm missing or a workaround that can enable this? I don't want to disable a layout since I use them both frequently.

Thanks

2. keenan wolf macrumors 6502

keenan wolf

how do you add letters to the password lock?!?!?!?!

did i miss something...

3. macfan94 macrumors newbie

Ur passcode can only be 4 numbers................. i just checked in settings...........

4. keenan wolf macrumors 6502

keenan wolf

thats what i thought.... maybe he is special?

5. aethelbert thread starter macrumors 601

Passcodes can be set to require a minimum of up to 999 characters both alphanumeric and non-alpha numeric via profile control... does anyone have any answers for the thread's question?

6. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Hmm what version are you running? It works fine for me...?

Did you actually enter in a character from both of the keyboards when you set the passcode?

7. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

8. aethelbert thread starter macrumors 601

I'm running 3.0. I just tried resetting the passcode entering something from both keyboards but I still don't have the globe icon next to the space bar on the unlock screen. Maybe there's a setting buried deep within something that I'm missing? Do you remember enabling anything? It looks exactly like what you posted only sans-globe.

I'm trying to use English and German. I see that you have German enabled... is English another?

9. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Which keyboards are you trying to use?

Edit: Saw your reply. Yeah, I put German and English. In your profile, did you put in anything other than Require Passcode?

10. aethelbert thread starter macrumors 601

It's not a personal profile; it's from work. I know that the minimum length and minimum non-alphanumerics were changed as well, but I don't have access to the full details of the file.

11. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Huh. That's really strange. It works fine for me. What region is the phone set to?

12. aethelbert thread starter macrumors 601

It is set to Switzerland, but I have also tried the US, UK, and Germany: none of which have enabled both keyboards. This just gets annoying since I have to enter the password every time I turn on the phone and it has to be at least sixteen characters.

13. macfan94 macrumors newbie

lol whatever youre talkin about isnt on the iphone like i already told you its only4 numbers that pic isnt the passcode screen

get a clue

14. aethelbert thread starter macrumors 601

hmmm... thanks for your input! It's very helpful. I guess that I've just been hallucinating for the last year at the mirage of a required sixteen digit passcode...

I would suggest you do the same. Go learn about iPhone in business enterprise before you claim to know something on the topic.

Adding to the thread: I restored to 3.0 again and it didn't do anything for this situation; the problem persists.

15. milani macrumors 68000

milani

This might be obvious but if you enable both German and English keyboards then reset your phone (hold down the sleep wake and the home button for a time - idk how to do it with a 3GS), it should add the globe to all keyboards (including that passcode screen keyboard - which I must confess I have never seen before).

16. aethelbert thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that a few times yesterday but I am still left without a keyboard option on the unlock screen.

17. archiecomicsfan macrumors newbie

how do you get any iphone to actually look like that screen cap?!? :confused:

18. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

You can use the iPhone Configuration Utility to create a configuration profile that requires an alphanumeric passcode.

19. archiecomicsfan macrumors newbie

Thanks
    I downloaded it but have NO clue how to use it!!

Edit: Ok I got it working but I too am having the same problem, the globe button isn't showing up. I'm trying to use English and Arabic.....I have Arabic enabled on my keyboard but the globe isn't appearing on the passcode keyboard