Multiple genres in iTunes 8?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacinJosh, Sep 13, 2008.

1. MacinJosh macrumors 6502a

So, I did a search on multiple genres and all I found was a couple of guys asking about it in the ATV forums. So, with the advent of iTunes 8 and the genres being more prominent, anyone figure out a way for a movie (or whatever) to have multiple genres so it would appear in say both Romance and Comedy categories? I have a lot of movies that really cannot be labeled as a single genre...

2. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

The only way to get around it in music is to combine them; Pop/Rock, Folk/Rock, etc.

3. Ping Guo macrumors 6502

Ping Guo

Sorry for bringing this one back from the dead, but I'd really like to hear if anyone has any idea/opinion/notion how to do this? It really should be a feature.

For example, I want to tag Afrika Bambaataa's Planet Rock in both Rap/Hiphop and 80s. Or Radiohead Kid A in Electronica + Britpop + Alternative. Gorillaz could fit into 3 or 4 genres too. That way when I put any genre into random play I won't be missing these songs...:(

4. gmeddles macrumors member

What I do is use the comments section to control smart playlists. Imagine comments that look like:

Genre:Folk Genre:Rock Genre:Alternative Genre:Singer-Songwriter

Then I have smart Playlists based on "Comment contains Genre:Folk." It's a bit of a hack around a bad cardinality in the iTunes data model. Ideally I wish we could overload other tags like artist as well, because I hate having collaborations by 2 artists grouped as yet a 3rd artist in List View. Ideally the song would show up both under ArtistA and ArtistB instead of ArtistC or Compilation or Various Artists.

5. ReggaeFire macrumors 6502

You can't have a song multiple times (unless you import it twice), but if you utilize the "Sort Artist" tag, you will have the track listed under Artist A.

The Sort tags were a very useful addition to the tagging. I now have all my main artist tagged <first name> <last name> and the sort artist tag <last name>, <first name> which results in a library with proper alphabetical order.

For entering multiple genres, I would utilize one of the many metadata fields that usually go unused, like Category or Description, and then set up a Smart Playlist to look at both that field and the genre.

6. tonyc46 macrumors newbie

I've used groupings with a lot of success. For instance, I have a lot of classical. Classical is the genre and in the groupings I'll have baroque or classical or romantic, etc. If the composer is a transitional composer, I'll do classical romantic. Then, if I just want to listen to Romantic period music, my smart playlist will be set up for grouping CONTAINS romantic.

Here's another example. I have a lot of early jazz (pre-1940). The genre is Jazz and the grouping is early for those. Again, set up the smart playlist for genre IS jazz and grouping CONTAINS early. I don't just want to do it on grouping IS early because I have early rock and roll (roots), early blues, etc.

Try it. It works well.

Tony

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You can add genres as text in comment or in other fields, and then use smart play list.

There are also hidden fields you can enable.

8. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

Really? How and which ones?