Multiple HDD enclosure in UK

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by clarkee, Sep 20, 2010.

1. clarkee macrumors member

Please excuse me if this has been covered already, what info I have found relates to the USA.

I have a Mac mini as my media centre, and as you would expect over time I have filled up external HDDs and upgraded to new bigger ones.

My set up for a while has been 2x 1TB external USB HDDs, one mirroring the other purely as a back up.

The obvious first issue with this, is the two sets of wires and the two power supplies.

The second is i use other HDDs to back up the mini itself, and to keep work on.

I have just upgraded to a single 2TB externals drive, and I am just about to buy another as it's back up.

Eventually, these will get full and I'll need to go through this all again.

So my question is, can I get a multiple HDD enclosure that will take 4x 3.5" HDDs, can be swapped easily when necessary, will Connect to the Mac mini with a single wire and has a single power supply?

Or am I living in a dream world?

Thanks in Advance.

Clarkee.

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Sure. Plenty of options around ranging from RAID enclosures (or pseudo-RAID such as the Drobo) though to regular multi-bay enclosures.

Try www.span.com for a selection. Personally I'd go the Drobo route, though. It's a little more expensive, but will give you in-built redundancy.

3. clarkee thread starter macrumors member

4. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

How is the Drobo a psuedo-RAID? Not disagreeing with you here, I just don't know.