Multiple High End Video Cards?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by knightful, Aug 24, 2010.

1. knightful macrumors newbie

Does anyone with a Mac Pro '08 and up run it with 2 high end cards? ATI 4870, 5870 and/or GTX 285 are the ones I'm thinking of.

On my MP '09, I currently run a 20" off the GT 120 and the GTX 285 on a 24". I have another 24" coming in (the Apple LED), so it requires me to use the GT 120. For gaming purposes, I'm considering getting a 2nd high end card for the new 24" instead of letting the old 20" act as a slave on the GTX 285 (trying to minimize load on the gtx285, again for gaming).

I'd appreciate any advice y'all have. Currently playing HL2, Portal, WoW and SC2.

Thanks for your time

2. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Errr, I think a single one of any of those cards is fine for any of those games. Any of the cards in Crossfire/SLI is pretty much overkill for what you listed there.

3. knightful thread starter macrumors newbie

The point I was trying to make is, instead of having 2 monitors on the GTX 285, is it feasible to have two high end cards driving those monitors (say for 2 games at the same time, one on each monitor, etc...)

4. goMac macrumors 603

Erm. Not really possible. Most games block the other display out. Unless you want to run them in windowed mode...

As far as the cards, the answer is no, not without some modifications and extra equipment. At the very least you would have to sacrifice a optical drive bay.

Probably your best bet is two 5770s, but I'm really not sure that's worth it to play two games at the same time. You're probably better off just getting a GT 120, putting your second display on that, and not using it for games.

5. knightful thread starter macrumors newbie

currently, I have 1 on the GT 120 and 1 on the GTX 285. Upgrading to two on the GTX 285.

Considering buying another GT 120 instead of leaving 2 on one card.