Resolved Multiple iCloud Photo Libraries on a Single Mac

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by calabi, Apr 16, 2019.

1. calabi macrumors regular

Hello!

I'm sure this is an ease question but when I did a bit of research into this I found lots of people trying to get multiple libraries on a single account I couldn't find any categorical advice on this.

Me and my girlfriend have our own iCloud accounts and I'm looking at getting a single family Mac for everyone to use. My question is one a single Mac can I have multiple iCloud Photo Libraries synced under different user accounts?

2. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

It depends: are you using separate computer user accounts? IE when you're done do you go to the Apple menu → Log Out <Your Name> and then your girlfriend logs into a different account? If so, yes, you can sync different iCloud photo libraries.

Unfortunately, if you use the same account, no you can't. While macOS allows multiple Photos libraries on the same account, only one syncs to iCloud.

3. calabi thread starter macrumors regular

Ah thank you for this! Yes it would be seperate user accounts. Both of the libraries will need to be on external drives if that makes any difference?

4. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

Makes no difference as far as I can tell. Might be constrained by how fast the drive is, but should still sync.

5. calabi thread starter macrumors regular

Brilliant thanks for the advice!