Multiple inboxes in Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by acearchie, Sep 3, 2007.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Ill make it short,

I have two Mail accounts just created in Mail, one for my dad and one for my sister,

1. Is there any chance of having two inboxes instead of having both messages going into the main inbox,

2. Any chance having a different sound when the messages from the different accounts come in???

Thanks

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

There is only one inbox, however if you look under it, you can see that it is divided into sub-boxes, one for each account.

Another way to do it would be to create two mailboxes, one for your dad, one for your sister and set up a rule so that incoming messages are moved to the respective mailbox based on who they are addressed to.

As far as I know there is no (easy) way to change the mailbox sound, and no way to set up multiple sounds.

3. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

1. You should have two inboxes. Hit the little triangle to the left of the Inbox and both accounts should have separate smaller inboxes in the hierarchy.

2. Under Mail>Preferences>Rules...establish a rule for each email address, then in the actions portion of the dialog assign the sound you want to play.

After looking at swiftaw's suggestions, perhaps the easiest thing to do is the establish a single rule for your dad, with both actions of moving it to a new mailbox and playing the assigned sound, then establish another rule for for your sister that does the same moving it to a new mailbox and assigning a sound.

4. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Thanks for your help! I found it relatively easy to change the default sound and my dad has his own African chant for his incoming messages! Thanks!

5. dannewell15 macrumors regular

Hey. Hopefully this thread isn't quite dead yet. Does anyone know how to set up a hotmail account with mail alongside a btopenworld account? thanks!

6. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Since i started it yesterday its not quite dead!

Anywho are you having problems setting up the inbox in the first place, as in are you recieving mail from one account already using mail???

THanks

7. dannewell15 macrumors regular

I'm having difficulty setting it up in the first place. I'm not sure how it has to be configured if its a hotmail account with the mail servers, etc. Any ideas? :)