Multiple Inputs, Guitar and Microphone?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by itisme1760, May 13, 2010.

1. itisme1760 macrumors 6502

I own a Macbook Pro (Late 2008, with input). I am teaching guitar lessons over Skype and I would like to know how I can talk into my Microphone while having my electric guitar plugged in to the input so the person on the other end of the chat can hear both my voice and the guitar. Right now, I can only either choose my microphone or guitar input. Plugging my guitar through an amplifier is not possible for me.

Thanks.

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

The simple and cheap way is to use a mixer. Makie makes a good 4x2 mixer for $100. You plug whatever you like into the mixer adjust all the relative volumes and even pan each input to the left or right and the the output of the mixer goes to the computer.

You could also do the same with a USB or Firewire audio interface. Most of these hace at least two inputs bt the software setup is a little more compex. The mixer does all the mixing otside of the computer.

Look at the item in the link below. Notice it has an XLR input for the mic and 1/4" inputs thatcould work for the guitar. The headphone juack is nice too, so you can hear yourself without causing feedback into the microphone
    Mixer

3. itisme1760 thread starter macrumors 6502

What if I wanted to use the on-board microphone and plug in my electric guitar through the input (using 1/8in adapter to 1/4in adapter) and have the guy on the other end hear both my voice and electric guitar? Is it not possible via Mac OS X software alone? So I'm thinking I need to buy a hardware mixer or something.