Multiple inputs new ACD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by uplusd, Jul 18, 2011.

1. uplusd macrumors 6502

Does anyone think the new ACD will have support for multiple inputs? Since they will have daisy chaining, there must be more than 1 thunderbolt port. I hope we can use the additional thunderbolt port for another input device. Thoughts?

2. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Of course it will have 2 thunderbolt ports. Looking at the leaked image of the new ACD, it's the only possible way to do this.

[​IMG]

3. uplusd thread starter macrumors 6502

Right. What I'm saying is does anyone think it would be possible to use both thunderbolt connections as inputs. example: macbook pro and mac pro connected to same ACD

4. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Ah, I see. Definitely not sure about that. That would be a great feature, but I don't see Apple adding a function to switch inputs by giving it a hard wired button on the ACD.

I wonder if there would be a way to switch inputs via software in Lion.

5. uplusd thread starter macrumors 6502

We can always hope :) I guess we'll just have to wait and see

6. uplusd thread starter macrumors 6502

so now that the new displays are out, does anyone know?

7. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

They don't ship for another 60 days. This is a very interesting point though and I would love to know. I'm planning on buying one and would love to test it out if none of the review sites try it first.

Smart question!

8. iVoid macrumors 65816

There is only one thunderbolt port on the new display.

The built in cable connects to the TB port on the mac, then there's a pass through port on the display back.

9. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Quote for truth.
    Apple's site has a picture of the ports on the back, and there's clearly one Thunderbolt port, and the built-in cable.

To achieve the chaining, plug the built-in cable in to the other display. Job done.

10. uplusd thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't think either of the last two posters understand the question. Here is a hypothetical scenario:

Built in cable ---> Thunderbolt equipped MacBook Pro

Thunderbolt Port ---> Connect to thunderbolt equipped mac mini

The question is will the second configuration work to allow the mac mini to use the ACD as a display. Thunderbolt is a bi-directional standard, so it could be possible in theory. Of course, Apple would need some type of switching mechanism between the inputs.

11. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Ah, that's a lot clearer than your original post...which basically doesn't say that. Your OP asks if it will have two Thunderbolt ports, which is a simple no.

Apple won't have a switch on the display to change between modes, as they hate buttons. My gut feeling is that the 'built in' cable will take display priority over the TB port, so to switch you have to actually unplug one or the other. The only other option is the keyboard shortcut used on the iMacs to change from the iMac's internal connection to an external.