multiple installs of office running simultaneously

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by waterskier2007, Aug 22, 2007.

1. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

my friends installed their copies of microsoft office from the same disk, because it comes with three installs. but now when they both want to use it at the same time the second person to open it gets a message saying they cant use it while the other person has it running. is there anything to do about this?

2. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Yeah, anti-piracy measure. I only think it happens if you're on the same network though

3. waterskier2007 thread starter macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

thats the problem, they are at the same school and so they will be often, and i think they are rooming together for college. how do people use it in their home, if they have multiple computers?

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I'm not sure about this (if you could post the section from the license that gives you 3 installs we could tell for sure) but the 3 installs are for 1 user, not 3. So 1 person can install it on 3 computers, all for their personal use but they are only meant to use 1 at once. The non-accademic license permits 2 install, but for 1 user with only one install at once.

If this is the case then your friends are breaking their license conditions.

With previous versions this check was easily stopped. Use Google...

5. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

They don't. What your friends are engaging in, is illegal. You can't install the same copy of Office on multiple computers, especially among groups of college friends.

Don't hate the messenger, I'm just saying...

6. waterskier2007 thread starter macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

yeah for sure, so what ur saying is people who want what they are doing would buy something along the lines of the family pack and it would allow them to do this?

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes. That's basically what I suggested above. Note that it's not the multiple installs that are the problem, but the multiple users. Lots of software allows 2 installs (one laptop, one desktop say) but explicitly states it's for one user and they can only use one copy at once.