Multiple Iphone Questions...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bazookafx3, May 30, 2008.

1. bazookafx3 macrumors regular

Okay so i ordered a refurbished iphone from ATT (still yet to get here) and i have a few questions about it and if you have answers let me know.
    1) when docked do you get the stereo/GSM buzz? (i have a bose ipod dock if that helps)
    2)when docked and i receive a call will it play the ring from the speakers or stop the music and use the built in ones?
    3) If im watching a video will it interrupt my video for a call?
    4) how strong is the vibration?
    5) how easily does the back scratch?

Even if you can only answer a few of these let me know! Thanks!

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

1. you will get the buzz unless you buy an iPhone compatible dock or put the iPhone in airplane mode.
    2. Not sure
    3. yes
    4. not very strong
    5. the iphone is very scratch resistant. I keep mine in my pocket naked. After almost a year, no scratches.

3. RobUM macrumors newbie

1) In order to not get interference you'll have to put the iPhone on airplane mode...unless it's specially designed for the iPhone, which I don't think yours is.
    2) Your phone will more than likely be in airplane mode when docked, so no.
    3) Yes
    4) Not very
    5) Not too easily...but still be careful. Look into the cozip case if you want something that protects the back without being too bulky

EDIT: Guess someone beat me too it...here's a link to that case though:
    http://www.iphone-cases.org/iPhone-Cozip-Case-39.html

4. bazookafx3 thread starter macrumors regular

I dont need to order a case for the back, i came into possession of a free Invisible Shield and was debating whether or not to use it.Those Invisible Shield cases are a PAIN to put on though.

5. otep1760 macrumors regular

otep1760

stay away from the cozip case, i ordered one and it demolished the chrome bezel. it left a ton of scratches from taking it on and off.

6. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

I thought the iPhone does not work at all with the Bose dock? I know there are a few docks that it does not work with at all. My first iPhone was fried by a dock at an Apple Store. I put my phone in, the screen shot off, the phone got really hot, and never turned back on again. The manager ran over, checked it out, handed it to a genius, who laughed and said "dude, that's not supposed to happen" and they opened a box and gave me another phone right there.

7. RobUM macrumors newbie

ah..see I leave mine on..I've taken it off once or twice, but was really careful doing so... no scratches yet

8. neven macrumors 6502a

I have an old Logitech dock I used with my Nano. It's not iPhone-approved. In my case,

1. Some, but it's not a big deal. I usually don't put the iPhone in airplane mode unless it's driving a party or something.
    2. It plays through the speakers for me
    3. Yes. Pretty much everything will get interrupted if you get a call (unless you're browsing the web over EDGE; you don't get calls then. That sucks about EDGE)
    4. Less than with most phones, in my experience
    5. Exactly like a MacBook Pro, for instance. So in my case, not at all. The chrome bezel scratches like crazy. The screen is very, very tough.

9. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

The Cozip case gets sh*t in it too easy though.
    I had my iPhone for 8 months without a case, and got no scratches on the back.
    3 months in the Cozip case, and now I have 5 or 6 mm sized scratches to the back.

10. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

11. Fireman52SFD macrumors member

It will interrupt video but immediately go back to it post call.
    Very scratch resistant. I do have a front invisashield. The only scratches i have a from the incase slider. I didnt believe the bad reviews and i should have. so other than case induced chrome scratches the rest is great.
    The iphone is highly addictive though. You will look up stuff you never did just so you can play with it.

12. aethelbert macrumors 601

It turns off all wireless transmissions.

13. Fireman52SFD macrumors member

Airplane mode is when the iphone CANNOT receive text or calls. So on the airplane when they give you the speech about cutting your cell off you can use the iphone for music and videos and not receive signal and crash your plane. HA HA

14. bazookafx3 thread starter macrumors regular

WAIT so if im using edge at all i wont get my calls??! Not the same with wifi right?

15. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

Yep, no calls with edge. With wifi you will still get them though.

16. otep1760 macrumors regular

otep1760

call still come through for me when using edge

17. neven macrumors 6502a

No. EDGE takes up the entire communication channel when it's in use. This is only when data is actually being transferred over EDGE; if you load a webpage and sit and read it, calls will come in once no more data is being received from the server.

In practice, I've missed only one or two calls due to EDGE use in the last year.