Multiple iPhone Upgrades

jona2125

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
I had a question if anyone might be able to offer insight that would help. I upgraded through Sprint's website to get an iPhone X for my mother. I'm wondering if it would mess with anything to get a second iPhone through signing up for the iPhone Upgrade Program on Apples website? Almost every Apple Store around me is available for pickup on launch (grain of salt in that) and I was curious if I could get myself an iPhone X through Apple that way without screwing anything up on her plan. It's a single line so I'd just be using her number to go through the process. Will this work?

goofy810

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Funny you ask, I was able to buy 2 out right on my line for AT&T from ATT (i wanted to get from apple on t-mobile, but they were sold out by the time i got into the site). My daughter has pre paid so i wanted to get her one. I posted asking if folks thought it would work and haven't heard yet but as of now the orders are all in progress.

I would say go for it because you can allways say u wanted a second one as a backup and as long as its not 2 payment plans via Sprint why not

jona2125

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Funny you ask, I was able to buy 2 out right on my line for AT&T from ATT (i wanted to get from apple on t-mobile, but they were sold out by the time i got into the site). My daughter has pre paid so i wanted to get her one. I posted asking if folks thought it would work and haven't heard yet but as of now the orders are all in progress.

I would say go for it because you can allways say u wanted a second one as a backup and as long as its not 2 payment plans via Sprint why not

That's what I wanted to make sure was that it wasn't making up plans in the background. That's funny you say that though because I was just trying to get one on release for T-Mobile myself. I think the only trick right is that I have to activate it on Sprint first then swap my sim to the T-Mobile and I'm good to go?

Thanks for the supporting comments. Both orders have been placed. Fingers crossed

goofy810

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
I think the only trick right is that I have to activate it on Sprint first then swap my sim to the T-Mobile and I'm good to go?
Im not sure that is true, Apple lists them on there site as Unlocked with a sprint sim card so you may not have to do that. worst thing i see would be they some how you deactivate your moms new phones sim when you turn yours one etc. but as long as she is close you can just bring the new sim from your phone to her house and swap it.

jona2125

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Im not sure that is true, Apple lists them on there site as Unlocked with a sprint sim card so you may not have to do that. worst thing i see would be they some how you deactivate your moms new phones sim when you turn yours one etc. but as long as she is close you can just bring the new sim from your phone to her house and swap it.

I think you're right. I did a little further reading and have seen comments about people signing up for new plans on carriers they don't even want just to get an iPhone at launch and then canceling the plan as soon as the order processes. I'll just go right for popping my sim in. And if I find out otherwise I'll have to go and set hers up anyway so no biggie. Thanks!