multiple iphones and only 1 appleID?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vanfanel1, Oct 10, 2011.

1. vanfanel1 macrumors member

I have my own iphone 4 and my wife has an ipad 2 and will be getting an iphone 4S. Currently we use just one appleID between the iphone4 and the ipad to share apps. When my wife gets the 4S we'd still like to share apps by using the same appleID however I'm afraid the iCloud sync will interfere with our 2 iphones. One of the features it touts is being able to start something on one device and finish it on another. If I started a book on my iphone will it also keep track on my wife's iphone? This would be a bit troublesome as we'd like to keep these types of things independent. We still like the idea of other things like the photostream being shared but not everything. Does anyone have a solution for this or how exactly this will work with our setup? thanks.

2. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

4. vanfanel1 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, that setup screen makes more sense. However, with separate IDs we won't be able to share the photostream then, correct? That's kind of a bummer. My idea was that we could both take pics from our iphones and then view all the pics on either phone or our ipad.

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Its a bit tricky, but yes you can do this.

under your first account, turn on anything that you wouldn't want to share with your wife's iPhone (like contacts), but leave photo stream off. Now go to Settings> Mail, Contacts and Calendar and add a second iCloud account (using the Apple ID that you currently share) and turn on Photo Stream from that ID, repeat this on your wife's iPhone and iPad.

6. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

7. scootaru macrumors 6502

I just tried that and it said I can only use photo stream on the primary iCloud account.