Multiple iPhones and syncing - is it possible without multiple accounts etc. ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mscriv, Apr 13, 2011.

1. mscriv, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011

mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Hey All,

I've searched and read some threads on this topic, but I couldn't find any that really focus on what I want to accomplish.

My wife and I are currently syncing both our phones on one master user account on our iMac. We have no problems with sharing an iTunes account or getting apps and we have no problem with managing our music.

The question is contacts, notes, and calendars. For example, if I add a note using Notes on my phone and then sync with our computer the note is backed up. However, if she does the same then her notes are not added to the computer, but erased from her phone and my notes are added to her phone from the computer. The same has occurred for some contacts and I'm assuming calendars would do the same.

I understand that she could check the preference to have the phone override the computer, but if she did this then any new notes (or data in mail/calendars) I've backed up to the computer would be erased as those things are not on her phone.

It's like syncing only works as a one way transmission. Is it possible when one of us syncs our phone for the computer and phone to recognize changes in both directions meaning it could add new information to the phone from the computer and at the same time add new information to the computer from the phone?

I understand that creating a new user account on Mac OSX for her would solve our syncing issues, but it would create other problems and not really meet our goal. We want to have a unified address book and calendar so that if one of us makes a change that the other needs to know about that it would occur at the next sync. For example, if a doctor's appointment on the calendar changes she can make the change on her phone and then sync it to the computer. Then when I next sync my phone to the computer the change would be made on my phone.

The Notes are kind of a different story in that we don't necessarily need each other's notes, but I'm not sure how to divide notes into groups through Mail so that we could designate how they are synced.

Any help or ideas anyone has would be appreciated. As I said, I'm not sure what we want to do is possible.

2. mscriv thread starter macrumors 601

mscriv

Wow, no one has experience with this? I can't be the first person to run into this problem. :confused: