multiple iPhones share one iTune account

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by toiday, Sep 9, 2011.

1. toiday macrumors regular

I'm getting an iPhone for my daughter. Can I use my current iTune account when setting up her iPhone or I need to create a new one?

2. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

In my experience your better creating an account for your daughter because syncing become a hassle for the apps etc

3. fupresti macrumors regular

My wife and I have a shared iTunes account for our iPhone 4's and my iPad and we have no issues. If you have similar taste in games and/or apps, it's nice to only have to pay for these things once.

4. sydia21 macrumors regular

sydia21

I agree with this. I had an iPhone 2 years before my bf got his iPhone and he was able to download all the games I had previously purchased for free because we decided to share an account. Saves alot of money in the long run.

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Yes, you can use the same one. Both my wife's and the kid's iPod Touch are also on my account and the iPod syncs to my PC and the iPhone syncs with the wifey's MacBook. Also, if you use the same account on the iPhones be aware that (depending on your settings) both iDevices will be notified of purchases and in iOS 5 photos taken be deposited on both iPhones.

I believe you can authorize a limited number of other accounts to use the apps you purchase but someone correct me if I'm wrong. I do see that people log into their partner's iPhone with their own ID to install apps they've purchased then log out but I'm not sure if that's a sanctioned way to share apps.

6. ann713 macrumors 6502a

Yes! Our entire family sync under one iTunes account, it saves a lot of money.

7. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Keep in mind that with iOS 5 and iCloud back-up storage, Apple will be giving you 5GB per Apple ID. The more devices you have sharing the same ID the less storage you will have per device.

8. dav146 macrumors regular

dav146

I believe that iTunes purchases may be used on unto 5 devices. Stick to sharing an account!

9. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Although sharing an account is the preferable way to go, keep this fact in mind.

10. Macaddict16 macrumors 6502

How does multiplayer gaming work while sharing accounts. Gamecentervis the same on all devices right? Can you play against each other? My fiancé will be getting an iPhone soon and I am concerned about the gaming.
    Macaddict16

11. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

No, they can be put on a lot more than that. the 5 limit is the number of PC's you can allow to access your account at any one time. We currently have 7 iOS devices here and share the same games, music, movies & TV shows etc through them all (All off the ONE PC), with playlists and selected movie/tv groups being used to select what goes on what device

Any new game gets thrown on all devices and whoever does not want it simply deletes it off their device and it wont re-sync.

12. Frankenstein macrumors member

There were a lot of threads about this when iCloud was first announced, and if I remember correctly, you can set up multiple iCloud accounts for one apple ID. So, unless things have changed or I misunderstood something, you can have all of your family's devices on one iTunes/App Store/Apple ID account to share purchases, but you can each have your own iCloud account for photo stream, storage, iTunes match, etc. Some one correct me if I am wrong.

13. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

you can share the same iTunes account.

On your computer however create separate iTunes Library for each device.

see method 3 http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1495

The Apps aren't huge so they won't take up a lot of space. If you do chose this method, you can manage your Apps and music better. If want to move music from each account, just drag and drop from the folder in Finder.

14. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

All of those saying "Sure, one account is great" are correct. Well, they were before iOS 5 and iCloud. You see, now with this new OS everything someone else gets will automagically download to your iDevice. Neat huh?

As for saving money? Kind of, but you can give everyone their own Apple ID and still share.

Its called HOME SHARING.

Sharing the same account WAS an ok idea. But with the advent of iOS5 and iCloud those benefits are now a hindrance. Home sharing will get you what you want, and allow you the ability to share or not share what you want. For Free.

15. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

Sorry I misunderstood what u were asking. Yes I agree with sharing the account as you can do so with up to 5 people from memory.

What I thought u were referring to was sharing iTunes on your computer rather than the iTunes account :)

16. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Yes. Now I won't have to find the kid's iPod to load a new game on it. I typically keep a copy of the games on both my iPhone and their iPod for car trips where they both want to play. Now my wife can see the pictures I take without me sending them to her via e-mail or MMS.

I disagree. Since you must authorize all shares with all IDs and manage authorized applications on every iDevice, it's simpler to have one ID and sharing is just a sync. iOS 5 makes the same ID benefits even greater. And it's also free.

Home Sharing is a great feature but there's more overhead to it with multiple IDs.