Multiple iPhones, Single iTunes "All from My PC" Contacts Group Question

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by earth616, Feb 14, 2011.

1. earth616 macrumors newbie

My wife and I have new iPhone 4s. We are syncing using the same instance of iTunes on PC.

I used the Verizon VZ Contact Transfer app on my phone to load all of my contacts on it last Monday. Everything worked great.

My wife did the same with her phone and her contacts. Again, no problems.

I am using Hotmail and set it up today to access that address book on the phone, too.

My wife did the same with her Hotmail account today.

Tonight, we both synced our phones and now my phone's "All from My PC" contacts group contains both my contacts and my wife's. And my wife's phone's "All from My PC" contacts group contains both her contacts and mine.

How can we undo this and how can we keep this from happening again?

Thank, in advance, for the advice!

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

There is a couple of ways to do it! Do you have Outlook?

3. earth616 thread starter macrumors newbie

Not using Outlook. Sorry.

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Where are you storing your contacts on the PC?

5. earth616 thread starter macrumors newbie

C:\Owner\Contacts

And it looks like both my wife's contacts and mine are all in that same location and folder.

6. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Sorry, I mean the application. If it is windows address book, does that application allow you to split the contacts in to seperate folders?

7. earth616 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh. We aren't using any application to manage the "All from My PC" group on our PC. These are the contacts we had on our Blackberry phones up until last week. We used the Verizon Backup Assistant tool to save our individual address books off the BBs and then used the VZ Contact Transfer app to pull them onto our respective iPhones.

Sorry if I'm not answering the right question. I appreciate the help!

8. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Since you are managing your contacts yourself, you son't need iTunes to do it for you. Thus, connect your phone, and in iTunes go to Devices->Your Phone->Info and uncheck the Sync Address Book Contacts box.

9. earth616 thread starter macrumors newbie

When I uncheck that option, it gives me the option to delete the contacts already on my iPhone or keep them.

I thought I could select that it delete what was on my phone and I could just use VZ Contact Transfer to load just my contacts back onto my phone. But, although VZ Contact Transfer said loaded x number of contacts on my phone when I just tried it, there were no contacts in my address book.

Do I need to uncheck the option, select not to delete the existing contacts on my phone, then manually go through and delete the contacts from my wife's address book that merged (and she would need to go through a similar process on her phone, but deleting my contacts from hers)?

Separate, but related question: Does going with the Don't Sync Address Book option you're suggesting mean our contacts aren't ever backed up?

10. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

That is sure not the way that I would have done it, I would want my contacts backed up when I sync.

But since there is no use in two of us, with different ideas, trying to help the OP, I'm gonna butt out.

11. earth616 thread starter macrumors newbie

No! Please help. We want our contacts backed up, just not merged.

I am still right where I was when I originally posted... a combined list of both my phone contacts and my wife's phone contacts are on both of our iPhones in the "All from My PC" group.

I hope you'll continue to share the train of thought you were headed down to help me!

12. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I don't use a Windows machine so I'm sorry for all the questions. In the Devices->Phone->Info window in iTunes, under where it says Syncing Address Book Contacts, does it give you the choice of syncing all contacts or Selected Groups (that's what I have on my mac)

13. earth616 thread starter macrumors newbie

It gives the choice of Selected Groups, but no groups are displayed.

14. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Send me a PM, when you have the time to work on this and and I'll help!

15. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

The reason that you don't see any groups in iTunes, is because you haven't built any groups. Open the windows address book on your computer and verify that your contacts have been placed there by iTunes.

16. earth616 thread starter macrumors newbie

If I open Windows Live Mail on the PC running iTunes that we use to update our iPhones, I see all my phone's contacts there (but not my wife's).

(This instance of Windows Live Mail is not synced to either my wife's Hotmail account or mine.)

17. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Have you synced your wife's phone using iTunes.
    What are your contacts settings in iTunes? A screenshot would help.
    When you plug your phones into iTunes, is the device name on your phone different than your wifes?
    Are you using "windows live hotmail" for your contacts or are your contacts in windows live on your computer?

18. earth616 thread starter macrumors newbie

Both my wife's phone and mine have been synced using iTunes.
    Screen shot sent via PM.
    Our iPhone names are different (AB's iPhone, and hepcat's iPhone).
    We are not using Windows Live Hotmail for our iPhone contacts. I only first looked for and noticed my contacts being in the program today since I've been posting here.

19. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

That screenshot says that you are using Microsoft Exchange to sync your contacts. Is that true?

20. earth616 thread starter macrumors newbie

That is what's odd. We don't have Exchange loaded on the PC and don't use it. That was the default option that appeared when we set up our phones. The other options are Google Contacts and Yahoo Address Book.

I can find our combined contacts list in a file called C:\Owner\Contacts on the PC. I can see just my contacts from my phone in Microsoft Live Hotmail.

Is there any way to enable the "Selected Groups" option and have each of our iPhone contacts in separate folders on the PC?

21. JamesMB, Feb 15, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2011

JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

That's where the problem is. I don't know anything about the Verizon contact thingy, is it possible that they are using Exchange to sync your contacts back to a Verizon? That is sure what it sounds like? If you set your email up in your phone as exchange, that is pretty simple to change.

Yes, but that won't help until we find out where your contacts are currently being synced. The exchange sync + the iTunes sync is what is causing the dup's.

22. earth616 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah ha! I used these instructions to set up our Hotmail accounts on our respective iPhones... http://www.iphonehacks.com/2010/08/how-to-setup-hotmail-using-exchange-activesync-on-your-iphone-ipad-and-ipod-touch-for-push-email-calendar-contacts.html

Is that part of the problem?

23. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

24. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I just did a bit of searching, and it looks like Hotmail only supports POP or exchange. As long as your contacts are not being synced to hotmail, there shouldn't be a problem

25. earth616 thread starter macrumors newbie

My iPhone contacts are not being synced to Hotmail. (But seem to be being synced to Windows Live Hotmail on the PC, if that makes any sense.)

Where does this leave me?