Multiple iTunes and sync w/Ipad

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rp2955, Mar 21, 2011.

1. rp2955 macrumors member

Hi all,
    This looked like the most appropriate forum for posting this and if not please direct me to the right one. I think I have a simple question. I have iTunes installed on my desktop upstairs which is my central location for music, movies, etc. I also have a laptop downstairs that has iTunes installed and homesharing setup for listening to the music on my desktop remotely.

I just got an iPad 2. I have pdf's stored on my laptop downstairs that I would like to copy over to the iBooks application on my iPad. However, whenever I plug the iPad into my laptop, it asks me if I want to erase/sync from the laptop iTunes. I don't want to do that as I believe it will erase my movies/music/etc.

So what I want to know is there a way for me to sync with the iTunes on my laptop to just carry over the pdf's to iBooks while allowing me to keep the music/movies/etc that I synced from my desktop iTunes? This avoids the hassle of having to transfer the pdf's to my upstairs PC to sync with that iTunes.

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

You could sync with the iTunes on the laptop, but it would be much less of a hassle to transfer your PDF files to the machine that you currently use to sync.

3. minttea macrumors newbie

try dropbox

An easier way maybe to use dropbox.com and share those pdf files among all your computers and iPad/iPhone. You open a free account, download an application on your desktop/laptop and put your pdf files in the dropbox folder. On your iPad, you can download the free dropbox app. After logging in, you will see all the files start to appear on all your computers.

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Great idea! I forgot about dropbox.:p

5. rp2955 thread starter macrumors member

will dropbox allow me to open up the .pdf and then store it in iBooks? I thought the only way to store a .pdf so that it shows up in iBooks is to drag and drop it through iTunes? That is why I was asking if I could just sync through my laptop iTunes because most of the .pdf's to sync are located there.