Multiple iTunes libraries on same machine

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aidym, Jan 18, 2010.

1. aidym macrumors member

I have just transferred my iTunes content to a larger hard drive in my Mac Pro. I did this by changing the 'iTunes Media folder location' and then, using the 'Organise Library' feature, I consolidated my library. All went well until i remembered that my wife also has an account on this Mac with her own iTunes library which references the same content but in the old location.

My question is - what is the best way to get my wife's iTunes library to reference the content in the new location?

Also, I noticed that iTunes 9 now stores downloaded apps in the iTunes Media folder rather than in the users home folder. How does iTunes handle multiple iTunes libraries storing apps purchased via different iTunes store accounts in the same folder?

Any help would be appreciated before the wife discovers what I have done!!!:(

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You can have as many different libraries as you want. If you hold the Option key down as you launch iTunes it will ask you to select which library you want to open.

3. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

Open your wife's iTunes, for to Prefs and Advanced and just change the iTunes Media folder location to the new one.

4. aidym thread starter macrumors member

Thanks but that doesn't work. All this does is change the location that new content is added - not the location of current content referenced by the library.

5. aidym thread starter macrumors member

I already have multiple libraries - one under my account and another under my wife's account. The problem is that I need to get my wife's library to reference the media in its new locations as I have moved all the media to a new drive in the Mac.