Multiple language of Mac OS

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mr.Bullitt, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Mr.Bullitt macrumors regular

Hi guys!

the way I understand it, is that it is possible to set difference languages for different accounts.

I set up an account for my girl and set her language, Slovenian to the top of the list, with English next.

However, only the calendar showing dayname is in Slovenian, rest remains in English.

Do I need to download some xtra language packages??

Slovenian keyboard setup is working fine...

2. bluespaceoddity macrumors regular

Have you tried, closing all applications, logging out her acccount or restarting the computer?

The language for individual Applications can be checked -and adjusted- by using "Get Info". (In the Applications folder, click once on the Application you want to check to highlight it. Then use the Get Info command from the File menu in the Menu Bar at the top of the screen or hold the Command and the i key on your keyboard at the same time. A small window will pop up that has a Languages section. See if Slovenian is present and if the box in front of it is checked.)

You shouldn't have to do this for every App however and Apple Apps especially should switch after the setting in System Preferences has been changed as you described -and after a log out/in restart. Unless you choose not to install additional languages when you installed the OS or deleted them from your system, Slovenian is automatically supported and doesn't require additional installation, AFAIK.

3. Mr.Bullitt thread starter macrumors regular

I have completely shut down the macbook and restarted.... did not help...

So far, only the name of the date in the calendar is not in English.

I got the macbook like this from apple, did not uninstall anything...

Where can I install more languages??

4. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

From the Apple site it seems that Slovenian is not available as a language for OS X (for menus,...), although you can maybe localize applications that support it.
    Many of the languages in the international pref panel are only for localizing applications.

Taken from here:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html

5. Mr.Bullitt thread starter macrumors regular

bummer....

So strange that menues are English, but calendar stating day of the week is in Slovenian....

6. bluespaceoddity macrumors regular