Multiple Macs (Networking)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 156457, Nov 30, 2008.

1. 156457 macrumors 6502

Hi there,

I currently own an iMac (Alu, 2.8Ghz, 10.5.5) and for Christmas this year I will be welcoming a MacBook to the household. Now, I'll be using the MacBook downstairs and in bed and when I don't really want to be at my desktop.

I would like to find out if there was a way of accessing the files + iTunes library on the iMac wirelessly on the MacBook, whilst the iMac was asleep. I'm aware I can do this when it's on, but I'm not sure if it's possible when the iMac is in sleep mode.

Also - I'd like to know if I'd be able to 'share' the external hard drive connected to my iMac with the MacBook (whether the iMac is asleep or not), I have no money or way of buying a router with USB capabilities and I was wondering whether Leopard would allow me to share the external USB drive with the MacBook wirelessly, is this possible?

Thanks in advance,
    Nick.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Not while it's asleep, sorry.

Tick the appropriate boxes in Sharing in System Preferences to enable these functions.

3. 156457 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have done, but I don't see anything about sharing my external?

Thanks.

Edit: Just realised you can add externals to the shared folder list, thanks!

Does anyone know of any other good tips or useful info for when networking with other Mac's? Thanks.

4. StuBeck macrumors 6502

Its not very difficult really. The system will automatically come up and you'll basically be done for configuration. Just make sure they're setup to share and you'll be fine.