Multiple Mail Accounts?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by blackfx35, Jan 18, 2009.

1. blackfx35 macrumors member

My wife and I currently have two profiles on our iMac. One for her, and one for me. For a number of reasons, we have decided that this isn't working out, and that we would rather just have one profile. This seems to be a lot easier to have one iphoto, one itunes, etc etc. The only issue that I have come up with that I am trying to solve, is how can we both use the mail program for our individual e-mail? I know we could combine them both, but she uses her's for business, so ideally we want to be able to have two separate mail programs. Is this possible? Thanks so much.

2. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Simple solution:

One of you continues to use Apple Mail, and the other switches to Thunderbird.

Thunderbird is developed by the same team who did the award-winning Firefox browser.

3. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

In Mac mail, you can have many accounts. I have .mac, .gmail, and .bellsouth accounts, all on the same screen. When you open Mail, click File/add account and add the one you want. It will list both mailboxes.

4. Bali Cockfight macrumors regular

Are you asking if you can both get your mail from the same account but using different macs, each using their own Mail application? If so, I am wondering this as well

5. looklost macrumors regular

Anybody have a real solution?

Well, I guess I'll jump on this thread hoping for some fresh responses. I'm in the same situation. Would like to have two "identities" in Apple's mail.app. I don't want to use another program, I don't want to set up a separate OS X log-in, and I don't want to just add another account in Mail.

There use to be a plug-in call MailSwitch, but the developer no longer offers it and it's last supporting OS was 10.2.

6. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

If the desire is to have 2 separate mail programs, it will probably require downloading something like Thunderbird for one of you to use.

Now, as someone has already noted, the mail application on OS X can handle multiple accounts. Each account can have both POP and SMTP server defined. The problem comes in when sending "new" emails. Eventually one of you are going to send an e-mail out from the wrong account.

To prevent that, you use one program and her the other. It really is safer that way. :D

7. looklost macrumors regular

The sad part about this problem is I was able to this with Outlook Express back in the day.

8. brendon2020 macrumors 6502

checkout thunderbird or postbox ($30 i think), ff you want to keep things entirely separate. Mail does do a good job a separating accounts.