Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

An Akamai outage is affecting multiple major websites, many of which are down or experiencing issues at the current time.

amazon-down-waffles.jpg

Affected websites include Amazon.com, HBO Max, UPS, Steam, PlayStation Network, LastPass, The Home Depot, Costco, American Express, and tons more. Some of these outages are regional, so not all users will see all affected sites impacted.

According to Apple's System Status page, iCloud Backup, iCloud Mail, iCloud Storage Upgrades, and Photos are experiencing issues that could be related to the outage.

Akamai says that it is actively investigating the issue and is aware of a problem with the Edge DNS service. It is not clear when the issue will be resolved.

Today's outage mirrors a Fastly outage that occured in June, bringing websites like Reddit, Spotify, Twitch, Hulu, and more down.

Article Link: Multiple Major Websites Down Amid Akamai Outage

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
AirBNB is back up after being down for a while so I think restoration is happening.

The funny thing about the internet's majestic is that it's decentralized but when the top 100 websites have 99% of the traffic and most of them rely on one CDN or DNS provider, well.....

ruka.snow

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Scotland
They have been around for a very long time, they are what you call a CDN (content delivery network). If you check either the WWDC or Macworld demos from 1998 or 1999, Steve Jobs demoed they use of it to stream trailers through Quicktime.

They seem to still work in 1999. Configuring it feels like I am filling out a forum to ask an office worker to manually adjust the servers for me.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
Bizarre to see Amazon affected. I would've thought with AWS they'd host on their own servers/CDN's.

I also thought Apple hosted their own servers/CDN's.

fontman

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
Costa mesa
Yep weird also know about your website didn't work right after I do the apples latest update but I restarted after about an hour and Wawa.

bakerzdosen

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2006
I hope this doesn't become a regular occurrence? Bit of an issue when a few companies handle DNS for so many websites globally. And the world is now geared to be online.
Bet it was a buggy software patch.
Uh, it does seem to happen regularly. Not from Akamai (it's been a while since I've seen them specifically have an issue) but random outages do seem to happen with large providers (AWS comes to mind in that context - often) but honestly, Akamai has basically been pretty solid for years.

Reactions: Pezimak and jerryk

Mrjetsondc

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2020
One day we will all regret not carrying our wallets. I dont carry mine anymore. It feels nice to not worry about losing it or having it pickpocketed. But one day I’ll regret it lmao.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.