Multiple Mobile Me accounts (Find my iPhone) on one iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrblack927, Aug 23, 2010.

1. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

Hi All,

Both my girlfriend and I have mobile me accounts and we'd like to be able to use "Find my iPhone" to find eachother on demand. I thought this would be simple since I have FMI set up on both my iPhone and iPad already and when I log in to FMI it lists my devices and allows me to find each one independently.

In theory, it should be as simple as setting up her Mobile Me account on my iPhone and turning off all services except FMI. And vice versa on her phone. Unfortunately, whenever I try to do this, I get a message (attached) telling me that if I enable one, it will disable the other. Is there any way around this?

I've been looking through my phone filesystem to see if there's a preference file I can modify but I'm wondering if anyone else has already figured this out. ;)

Thanks!

Attached Files:

• fmi1.png
      fmi1.png
      File size:
      153.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Jemi9OD macrumors regular

Jemi9OD

You could just log in as her using the Find My iPhone app. That's the way my wife and I handle this... it does require knowing each other's mobileme passwords, however.

3. mrblack927 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

That's true, but given that FMI is already configured to handle multiple devices, not to mention how much money I pay Apple just to use this service, I see no reason why this shouldn't be possible. Can't I just override the "enabled/disabled" value in one of the plist files?

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I fail to see why you don't like Jemi's advice.

You're basically saying "I don't want it to work by typing in password x. I want it to work by typing in password y!"

Why? What's wrong with using password x?

Are you and your girlfriend not sharing MM passwords? Is that it?

5. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

Insecure couple worried about infidelity?

6. mrblack927 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

It has nothing to do with passwords, it's the fact that there's no good reason to have this limitation. The underlying codebase supports tracking of multiple devices, so why impose a limitation that isn't necessary?

My computers use a persistent log-in system to keep me logged in to most browser services, including mobile me. I can't remember the last time I saw the "log in" screen for mobile me. Even if I did log out manually, the system would instantly log me back in. To check my girlfriend's account on one of my computers, I would have to disable that, then log out, then log in as her, then re-enable it when I'm done. It's not impossible, but for a paid service it sure is inconvenient. :)

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Find My iPhone isn't meant to be a real-time tracking utility and it's not really safe or smart to store a password in the app. Someone could steal your iPhone and do a erase on your gf's iPhone.