Multiple MobileMe accounts on iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MuzakaEklekta, Jul 3, 2008.

1. MuzakaEklekta macrumors regular

I have a predicament. I'm in a band and want to harness a push calendar between our iPhones to keep on top of gig dates. I want to either use Mail2Web's free Exchange service or MobileMe.

I have yet to register with MobileMe, but am pretty much about to. Question is, if I went for the Family Pack, and had primary for me, then a secondary account for the band, would I be able to have TWO MobileMe accounts active on the iPhone?

If not, I guess I'll have to use MobileMe for me and Mail2Web for the band.

2. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I don't see why not. I have multiple .mac accounts on my iPhone now.

3. MuzakaEklekta thread starter macrumors regular

Ah, yes. But are you talking 'Mail' accounts? I'm primarly concerned at achieving two seperate calendars.

Im thinking my personal MobileMe would be added to sync everything, then a secondary band account would be added to sync just the calendar.

If this possible as you say, do you think it'll be possible to keep calendars seperate?

The same question also applies to iCal on OSX too. You can't have two MobileMe user calendars.

I would've thought in this sharing world, it would be simple to have a read/write calendar we could share!

4. MuzakaEklekta thread starter macrumors regular

I think I over-complicated my reply..

Basically, does anyone know if you can have two MobileMe accounts running on iPhone 2.0 software, and if you can keep the two MobileMe calendars seperate?

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Couldn't you just sync a shared calendar for the band - MobileMe presumably could sync from a shared Google Calendar. Depends on how fast you want the syncing.
    I guess it depends how the front page of the MobilMe is set up - whether it's a lot of hassle changing between the log-in details of the two accounts, or whether you have separate buttons for different mail accounts from the same provider.

6. MuzakaEklekta thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I did try the Google Calendar route, but really want the iPhone calendar integration to utilise alerts etc.

Push calendar is quite important because between the lot of us. Schedules change often and can't afford to wait until one of us docks their phone. I sometimes don't get round to docking my iphone for a few days.

7. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Can't 1 MobileMe account have multiple calendars anyway? Have 1 private one, 1 open one? It's push iCal effectively -
    CalDAV Group Scheduling seems to be overkill (requiring an iCal server, but getting there)).
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/300.html#ical

8. MuzakaEklekta thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I did think about having a CalDAV server, but this does not offer over the air syncing.

You state that with my personal MobileMe account, I can set calendars to private or public? Is the public calendar read AND write? I'm not sure how this would integrate with the iPhone. It may be easier if we take computers out of the equation.

I essentially want us all to have a calendar set up on our iPhones that when either of us updates something, it immediately show up on the other iPhones.

The only way I can think of this being done is by either MobileMe or Exchange. I would prefer the clean cut way of MobileMe, but I worry if there is going to be data crossing paths between the personal and band account.

9. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

the Cal app on the iPhone will sync multiple calendars but it doesn't support multiple calendars so all the appointments just get lumped together.

You can have multiple mail accounts on the iPhone so I am sure you can push multiple email accounts to the phone.

I noticed that on Apple's site that the iPhone in the MobileMe section has different color appts in the Cal. Maybe its a new feature of 2.0.

I think you can get a 30day free trial of MobileMe so I would just try it when the new iPhone is released.

10. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Yeah on the demo they had the ability to move appointments between different calendars and they changed colour as they were moved.

iCal supports shared calendars.. theres a 'find shared calendars' option in the menu (takes you to http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/calendars/), and uses webcal: (whatever that is). I'm sure MobileMe will have similar/better options.. hopefully to share a calendar between a restricted set of users.

11. MuzakaEklekta thread starter macrumors regular

Thing is, I'm mainly concerned about over the air syncing.

Yeah, because on the current iPhone software, whenever you add an event, it will only go into the calendar which was pre-defined in iTunes.

Hopefully in the new iPhone 2.0 software, when you add an event, it will have the option to say which calendar. So when I have a date to add, I will add it to 'Gigs' and then it will beam onto MobileMe in the cloud where it will get pushed to my band mates... in theory... questionmark.

Unless anyone has iPhone 2.0 firmware to test this, I guess I'll have to wait until the 11th!

12. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Until we get MobileMe and 2.0 there's no over the air syncing at all so we don't know what the limits will be.

However since they'll have to have much of this support for the exchange client it wouldn't make a lot of sense to disable it for MobileMe.

13. MuzakaEklekta thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah. However, I doubt the event invitations will work for MobileMe. I'm sure that's an Exchange only thing. Is MobileMe really 'Exchange for the rest of us'?

Worst case scenario, I guess i can just have MobileMe running for my personal mail, calendar & contacts and use mail2web as an Exchange service on all the iPhones to have a shared push calendar.

There is a video here of someone using iPhone 2.0 with mail2web.com but it isn't enlightening me!

14. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

I ran across this thread while searching for answers to questions of my own, after which I stumbled upon some screenshots posted by "btnnaz" which might help shed some light on things ... ;)

First of all, to answer the original question: it appears that we can indeed have multiple MobileMe accounts set up on an iPhone, with the ability to selectively enable/disable syncing of mail, contacts, calendars and bookmarks for each account.
    [​IMG]

That said, I don't see in any of the screenshots the ability to enable/disable syncing of individual calendars in a MobileMe account - it seems to be all or nothing.

Yup, we can choose (on the iPhone) which calendar is the default:

[​IMG]

Finally, the calendar view options - I would have loved checkboxes here, just like in iCal - it appears as though we can't enable (for example) three out of four calendars - it looks like it's either one calendar or all of them. In any case, certainly better than what we've had for the past year!!!

[​IMG]

Finally, here's a link to the thread I got these shots from: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=504430&highlight=screenshots ... I hope this helps!!

15. MuzakaEklekta thread starter macrumors regular

mavis, you are a star!

Looks like it'll work after all!

It's a shame you have to change the 'default calendar' all the time, rather than choosing when you create an event. Or, like in iCal, select an event and be able to move it to another calendar.

3 days until it's all clear.

16. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Cheers mavis That bottom picture - with a name like Untitled 1 & Untitled 2 - i'd imagine we could delete or edit them, add new ones.

I'd imagine Apple has a metric boatload of videos going into detail about OS 2.0, and will start launching them from the 11th. It doesn't seem to be a feature that is too hard to implement, and we're seeing glimpses of it already.

17. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Hey mate, glad you saw the pics. :D

Actually, you don't have to change the default calendar all the time - the way it works is, if you're viewing a particular calendar and then add a new entry, the entry will be added to that calendar. If OTOH you're viewing all calendars, and add a new entry, it will be added to whatever you have specified as the default calendar. ;)

As for being able to re-assign events to different calendars, that would be great. Maybe a tap+hold to bring up an info screen for each entry ... ? I don't know - in any case, this is MUCH better than we've had for the past year - the ability to view individual calendars is great, and the push capability is just icing on the cake!!

Yeah, you can name them whatever you want! I got the impression from that screenshot that the user was simply testing out the feature for the hell of it, rather than testing it out as something that he/she would genuinely use. (otherwise the calendars would've been named properly) ... Whatever. It was still nice to see the new calendar app in action!

18. MuzakaEklekta thread starter macrumors regular

Turns out you cant have 2 accounts sync at the time. What a piece of ****!

Wasted my money on MobileMe Family Pack! Well... MobileMe altogether.

19. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

Yeah, I discovered that this wouldn't work right away. :(

Although, I'm still glad I got MobileMe. Push email alone makes it worth it!

20. MuzakaEklekta thread starter macrumors regular

I guess so, but if all that you wanted was Push email, Yahoo mail (free) also pushes.

Oh well. I can always hope they'll change this situation with an update.

21. iomatic macrumors regular

Hmm

This is kind of a bummer. I'm sure there's a workaround; but I'm not sure what it is— possibly utilizing Google Sync and your Exchange work PC and then MobileMe … or ?

My solution would be to pull the Exchange push (pull, technically) sync off and manually sync with Outlook. Wires!

That alone would be worth being rid of the Passcode (albeit necessary).

22. kammerhofer macrumors newbie

I only want to change the mobile me account ONCE.
    Someone any idea how to do so?

23. kammerhofer macrumors newbie

it´s because I also bouht the family-package of MM (MobileMe).