multiple monitors & Blu-ray on Mac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Maxi86, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Maxi86 macrumors regular

some time ago I'd asked the same thing, but here's the thing:
    I've a 27" iMac and a 30" Dell monitor sitting next to it. after some advice, I orderded a Mini DisplayPort + USB to Dual-Link DVI Adapter from monoprice.com.
    with that cable it worked right away when it's booted into Windows...
    but somehow I don't manage to do it on the Mac... does anyone have any idea what's the catch?

one more thing: what is the current state of playing Blu-ray movies on the Mac drive? is it possible?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Any sign of the monitor in System Preferences -> Displays?

Blu-ray under OS X or Windows? Windows requires third party software like CyberLink, and if Mac, check out Cave Man's thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=841318

B

3. Maxi86 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks, B...
    I'm at Windows now, I'll check the display next time I go to Mac OS.

I took a look at the mentioned thread. I must say it's far from user friendly...
    Is it easier on Windows? Besides, most of the time I'm watching my Movies on Windows anyway, especially because of the monitor thingy...

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

5. Maxi86 thread starter macrumors regular

do I need an external drive?

btw I also have the Kanex HD, so in theory I should be able to watch my blu-ray movies via my PS3... unfortunately I didn't succeed it getting it up and running :(

6. Maxi86 thread starter macrumors regular

the display worked! I went to displays and reconnected it, and after trying to gather all windows, it showed up...
    thanks for the advice!

7. Maxi86 thread starter macrumors regular

8. GroundLoop, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011

GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

This may be a dumb question..(it was a dumb question)

Edit: Nevermind, it appears that you are using your PS3 to output to your iMac. I have never used the Kanex XD and wouldn't be able to add any value to this issue.

GL

9. Maxi86 thread starter macrumors regular

@GroundLoop
    no it's not a good question...

I thought I could try it with the internal drive... but I guess it can't read Blu-rays... :(

but is the method mentioned in Cave Man's thread also using an external drive?

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Maxi86, my only BR experience is with my DIY PC, and I have only used it with DVDFab to rip and convert for ATV. I haven't even installed Cyberlink that came with the drive.

If you are really interested in making this work on Mac, discuss it in Cave Man's thread or a new thread in that forum and specify what exactly you are doing.

EDIT:
    Yes, or an internal drive in a Hackintosh.

B

11. Maxi86 thread starter macrumors regular