Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dreamail

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Beyond
There are DVI DualLink Y splitter cables like this one. Although I am not sure this very cable can do the trick. jemo07 can answer that.

But it will likely come down to the drivers what a graphics card really supports. I can imagine that mimicking a 3840x1200 display split onto two 23" ACDs is easier to support than two totally different resolutions.

You might also have to use an application like SwitchRes to activate more graphics modes than OSX provides by default.

jemo07

macrumors regular
May 6, 2006
Madrid, Spain
Are they in mirror mode?
Could you throw me a link to that adapter please?

In the cold winter here sometimes it's nice to have radiation heat from a third monitor... ;)

jajaja... yes they are in Mirror Mode. I missed that fact that the OP was looking for full Resolution over the two monitors.... One thing that happened 3 times was that I had to replaced the power button on my MBP since it got very hot from pushing the external monitor. ( either single o dual mode) :(

BTW, it was too slow and I ended up buying a MP... used the Y adapter (you need converter to match the ends) but it the end I ended up buying a second vid card to get all tree of my monitors running independently... 2x23" ACD and a Cintiq 12WX.

jemo07

macrumors regular
May 6, 2006
Madrid, Spain
There are DVI DualLink Y splitter cables like this one. Although I am not sure this very cable can do the trick. jemo07 can answer that.

But it will likely come down to the drivers what a graphics card really supports. I can imagine that mimicking a 3840x1200 display split onto two 23" ACDs is easier to support than two totally different resolutions.

You might also have to use an application like SwitchRes to activate more graphics modes than OSX provides by default.

Yes, similar cables, but I bought them backwards, and had to buy converters to get everything connected since I could not find the cable in Europe...
No, the cable only provides mirror images. sorry I missed that this was not what was been asked... I had a little too much cold medicine last night :D... or I am just an idiot or both hahaha... :D:D:D:D

tebriel

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2009
How come no one has mentioned this thing: http://www.villagetronic.com/vibook/techspecs.html

"Whenever you have USB ports, you can drive one or more extra screens. Several monitors can be connected using more ViBooks, even through a hub.

Any display up to 22” supported:
1680x1050 wide or 1600x1200
DVI or VGA (using the supplied high quality DVI-VGA cable accessory)
Dedicated driver for unattended installation in corporate environment
Compatible with
Windows (2000, XP, Vista, Windows7, 32 or 64 bit)
Intel Macintosh systems (10.4 and 10.5)
Supports Hot Plug and Sleep/Hibernation"

It's only 129 bucks. i have one 22" screen right now and then my MBP screen. having another 22" would be fantastic....
-teb

jazzisfaction

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2009
can I connect 2 macbook screens?

Hey,
is it possible to connect two macbooks in a way that I can use the two screens of them the same time. If you buy a macbook you get a cable to connect your labtop to a monitor but I do live music performances and I need to connect my two macbooks-screens. I only need the screens - I'm not interested in excange of files between the two.
Has anybody an idea? I know that there are very expensive KVM adapters with which you can share the keyboards, screens,etc.
But I can't find any cable or adapter for just sharing the two screens.

Thanx so much for helping

midget2000x

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2009
Connecting multiple external monitors to the Macbook Pro

I've researched this topic extensively and tried a couple different solutions. I posted my review on my blog here

hockeystarusa

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2010
Connect DVI and VGA monitor to macbook pro 13

Ok, so I just got my brand new macbook pro 13 and want to find a way to use it more efficiently at my work.

I'd like to get a docking station for it and be able to connect two monitors at the same time.

The trick is, my work provided a VGA monitor and a DVI monitor. Is there anything/anyway to connect both types of monitors at the same time and have the MBP connected to a dock?

Oh, and I want to make sure it is in extended desktop mode... not mirror.

I've looked and really like the henge dock but am open to whatever will work the best.

thanks

tasslehawf

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2003
Austin, TX
Ok, so I just got my brand new macbook pro 13 and want to find a way to use it more efficiently at my work.

I'd like to get a docking station for it and be able to connect two monitors at the same time.

The trick is, my work provided a VGA monitor and a DVI monitor. Is there anything/anyway to connect both types of monitors at the same time and have the MBP connected to a dock?

Oh, and I want to make sure it is in extended desktop mode... not mirror.

I've looked and really like the henge dock but am open to whatever will work the best.

thanks

Get a mini displayport to dvi to connect the the dvi and a usb to dvi for the vga.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.