Multiple Monitors?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by skllzdatklls, May 16, 2014.

1. skllzdatklls macrumors newbie

2. macpro2000 macrumors 6502a

3. jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Think you need a Dual Link DVI to Mini-DisplayPort Adaptor, but don't quote me on that.

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB571Z/A/mini-displayport-to-dual-link-dvi-adapter

4. jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

5. NOTNlCE macrumors 6502a

NOTNlCE

+1 on Lou's solution. DisplayPort is a much more reliable connection in my experience, and Dual Link DVI cables can get expensive.

@jakesaunders27 - the classic 30" Cinema Display needs the adapter because it's the only method it has for connecting a display. The Dell monitor has several inputs available, DisplayPort being the easiest in this case.

On that note, however, if the OP does choose to go the DVI route, OP WOULD need a Dual Link DVI connection to get the maximum resolution from that monitor. Single Link will peak at 1920x1200.

6. jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Ahh I see thanks for the clarification

7. skllzdatklls thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, thanks a lot for the help everyone and Lou. Really appreciate the help.

8. digitaltrader macrumors newbie

10.9.3 breaks triple monitor support. I had 3 monitors working just fine prior to updating though.

9. lemonade-maker macrumors 6502

lemonade-maker

4 working here. What is your setup?

10. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Is there a reason you aren't getting these monitors instead? Are the 160 pixels and 3" of space per monitor worth an extra grand to you? Just wondering.

11. Bad Leopard macrumors member

3 working here.

12. digitaltrader macrumors newbie

I have a 2013 nMPro with 2 mini-DP to DVI adaptors and one 30" dualDVI to active mini-DP adapter. All was working fine prior to upgrading. There are several others with DVI adapters having the same issues.

13. Bad Leopard macrumors member

Ahhhh, there you go...I'm only using one dvi adapter to the Wacom Cintiq, the other two monitors are straight Thunderbolt to Mini-DP.

14. Jim-H macrumors member

I have the same configuration and only have two out of the three monitors working. Anyone contact Apple on this issue.

15. Kryckter macrumors 6502

Kryckter

I am close to that config as well. 1 mini display port to DVI cable, 2 mini display port to dvi active adapters, and 1 hdmi that I've tried native and using a mini display port to hdmi cable. Regardless I can only get 2 to work. I ordered 2 thunderbolt to display port cables to get rid of the adapters, we will see if that fixes it for me...

16. Kryckter macrumors 6502

Kryckter

Cables did work!

So I was in the same boat as most here. 4 monitors worked fine on 10.9.2 broke on 10.9.3. Only could get 2 to work, no matter what I tried.

I had the following hookup
    2x Active Adapter to DVI cable
    1x HDMI
    1x Mini Displayport to DVI cable

I did finally get 3 working again.

I am now using the following arrangement
    2x Mini Displayport to Displayport
    1x Active Adapter to DVI cable

So just changing the cables to use Mini Displayport to Displayport has solved this for me. I will try to get the 4th working soon...

17. Jim-H macrumors member

The problem seems to be with those using non-DisplayPort connections. In my case I have 3 DVI only monitors. They are older, but still work great.

18. skllzdatklls thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, money isn't a big issue. Desktop space is. I'm especially liberal with things I use a lot. Computers are a pretty big part of life and if I shell out $1k extra for something I use for uncounted hours (esp w/ higher work productivity) they pay for themselves very quickly imo.

Ok, cool, good read.

Thanks again for the suggestions, sorry for a late follow up :p