Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m021478

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
I used to just use the Moves.app to record the number of steps I've taken daily, but motion tracking now seems to be a built-in feature of dozens of apps on my phone and things have now gotten more complicated.

I am using the new iPhone 6 Plus running 8.0.2, and I know that the new Health.app counts my steps. What I would like to know is whether or not it affects the battery life of my phone to have other apps (in addition to Health.app) keeping track of the number of steps I've taken.

Assuming I have motion activity tracking switched on in the Health.app, will also enabling this feature in Moves.app, MyFitnessPal.app, Withings.app, Argus.app, etc. further drain the battery of my phone? Or is it the kind of thing where all apps reference the same motion tracking data?

Thanks!

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Nope. The iPhone 6 tracks your steps even if you've never downloaded a health app. It's just something the dedicated M8 chip does all the time. All the apps do is tap into the information that's already going to be there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.