Multiple Newb Imac/Apple Questions: External DVD, Apple Care, Iphoto

Discussion in 'iMac' started by NBJamie99, Oct 23, 2008.

1. NBJamie99 macrumors newbie

Hello All,

This is my first post, so please be gentle.

I just purchased a 24" iMac from Best Buy and was left with a few questions.

Question 1:

Should I go with the Apple Care plan for $XX.XX or the best buy black tie for $XX.xx, I am thinking Apple Care, but the best buy guy was trying to say they might not cover some things. Any words of advice, everything appreciated.

Question 2:

I have read a good bit about the super-drive crapping out after a bit, and everyone talks about externals, but no one says what externals they use? With lack of knowledge on everything I purchased the Toast software, because I had read a while back that is was good for making "backups" of dvd's, but I am still left interested in an external burner with light scribe.

Question 3:

I have a digital camera that allows me to take 10mp photos, but I would like to have the ability to reduce the size, for emailing and such. I do not believe it is possible with Iphoto, is this correct? Do I need to purchase
    Aperture 2?

Thanks in advance.

Jamie

2. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

I'd go with AppleCare; my reason, i never really trust the warranties or junk associated with retailers especially bestbuy.
    reason being, apple has immediate, direct access to their parts, knowledge of them all etc etc.
    You get better service and more trustworthy support in my opinion.
    they'll cover everything within reason. theres real no run around with applecare, who knows if the bestbuy offers are longstanding or if theyll live up to their expectations or even be available in a few years??

The internal superdrives have definitely improved over time, it usually used ot be the fact it was on its side and in a different position then normally a slot loading drive may be, but shouldnt have too many problems.
    if so thats why you get apple care and theyll take care of it all for ya.

It does have a great proficiency of creating DVD clones and Disk Images alittle more easier and efficient then the built in stuff of osx.
    I thnk you made a good choice with getting the software it will work for what you want to do if you do alot of dvd back ups or putting your photos/vidoes to dvd discs.
    You can pick up any Lightscribe DVD drive and put it in an external case or buy a manufactured external case.
    the LaCie Lightscribe DVD drive is a pretty popular drive and i use it here and there at work for making copies/promo stuff (art/design biz)
    LaCie:
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/TR676ZM/A?mco=MTIxODk3Mw

Others you may look into:
    NewEgg:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&Description=lightscribe&bop=And&Order=RATING

HP, LG and LITEON tend to be very reliable manufactures.

iPhoto is capable of resizing and lowering the file size and resolution fo the photo for email, thats one of the key features I tend to use, i just usually import from a 8MP camera and they have high resolutions and large file sizes i just click on email and can reduce the size of it and the file size and its good to go. it may not be as accurate as perhaps photoshop or aperture but it gets the job done to just basic emailing and lower the file size.

hope that helps somewhat