Multiple niggling issues in Snow Leopard (Macbook)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Voladium, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Voladium macrumors newbie

I think this is the right place to post this so here we go. Over the last few weeks I have been having multiple issues with my macbook. The issues that I can remember thus far:

• Safari randomly reloads web pages and if I'm logged into something, when it does this it logs me out.
    • Safari quits intermittently.
    • Occasionally when I reopen Safari it seems to have deleted all of my settings. For example, I'm no longer logged into any webpage with the exception of iGoogle, however my settings (e.g saved background) have been removed.
    • I get an 'Aw, Snap' message from Chrome on about 50% of any webpages I try to go on (I even get this message on my new tab screen). However, sometimes I can have a session without seeing this message, sometimes I get this 2 or 3 times in a session and the rest of the time I get an 'Aw, snap' message on every single page I try to access.
    • Chrome quits unexpectedly immediately after opening.
    • Chrome cannot access my profile - I get a warning box about this when I open Chrome.
    • 50% of the time when I open iTunes it tells me my iTunes library file is corrupt and therefore I have to import my entire library again.
    • iTunes tells me that it cannot save my library (I think the error is -50).
    • iTunes has recently copied a lot of my music up to 7 times. Anything added in the last few months however has not been copied. Items with album artwork, items on my iPod, items in playlists have been copied more than other items.
      Copied files from my iTunes library are no longer saved in my iTunes Folder. Many are saved in Music -> iTunes, whereas the rest of my music is saved in Music -> iTunes -> iTunes Music, however some duplicates are saved in what seems to be the correct folder of Music -> iTunes -> iTunes Music.
    • When trying to open some dmg files I get told that the image is corrupt. These have been iTunes, Chrome and MacScan. I've had to download the dmg multiple times until I have been able to install.

• Once every couple of hours or so my screen dulls and I get a message that I need to hold down the power button and restart. (This, however, hasn't happened for a few days.)

I've installed MacScan, which found nothing, and also Little Snitch, however these have not seemed to stop my issues. I'm a bit (a lot) of a n00b when it comes to issues with Macs so I'm hoping that somebody can help me out.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

This sounds like it could be a faulty hard drive. Do you have a backup? If not I would copy your important data before doing anything.

Once you have got a backup I'd take a look at "Disk Utility" in your utilities folder and see what it says when you try repair disk.

3. Voladium thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your reply. When I go on Disk Utility there are only options for 'Verify Disk Permissions' and 'Repair Disk Permissions', the 'Repair Disk option isn't clickable.

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

You need to select the top level option for your drive before you can select that option, e.g.

Screen Shot 2011-08-22 at 17.59.25.png

5. Voladium thread starter macrumors newbie

This is what I've got selected, the 'Repair Disk' option still isn't available though.

6. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

You can't repair the boot volume from the boot volume but you can verify. If you run verify disc and it comes back with errors then you need to boot from the OS install disc or external drive to repair the boot volume. Make sense?