Multiple non-thunderbolt displays + thunderbolt device

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Lastmboy, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Lastmboy macrumors regular

I gave up on the iMac wait and picked up a used mid-2011 with AppleCare. Eventually, I would like to add a thunderbolt display to it. However, in the short term, I have two 24" monitors I would like to connect to it. My understanding is that I can do this using the two thunderbolt ports on the iMac using two mini display port to dvi adapters.

Now, if I later want to connect in a thunderbolt device, such as external hard drive, is there a way to do this, with both my thunderbolt ports already in use? Could I remove one display, connect the TB hard drive to the iMac, then connect the display with adapter to the other port in the TB hard drive? Do all thunderbolt ports in all devices have mini display port capability? My guess is no, but I thought it was worth asking.

2. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Yes, you can do this, as long as the external hard drive has two thundebolt ports. Not all devices have this capability. The Apple thunderbolt display does not. All TB two port hard drives that are available currently can do this.

3. Lastmboy thread starter macrumors regular

Excellent! Thanks for your quick response. :D

4. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

No problem. I have tested this with the Promise Pegasus, LaCie 2big and the LaCie eSATA dock.

5. Lastmboy thread starter macrumors regular

Perfect! It's the Promise Pegasus that I'm after. How do you like it?