Multiple numbers in contacts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fuzz12345, Jul 22, 2008.

1. fuzz12345 macrumors newbie

Learned a hard lesson when I updated to 2.0, lost 80% of my contact info. Long story short, when I add a custom label or add 3 or more phone numbers to a contact in the I phone, Outlook will no recognize the "custom" label or the extra phone numbers.

Basically I sell to ABC Company but I talked to about 6 different people there. I had(and I do me had) all 6 guys direct number and cell phone numbers under ABC company. Outlook only saved / backed up of 3 of the numbers.

Apple told me the I-phone / Outlook are not set up to do that, you're screwed.

My question: Is there any other program that will recognize the custom labels and extra phone numbers plus back them up?

Thank You

Jay

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Are you using Outlook 07? If so I used to use it (before switching to the correct side) and had no problems with multiple numbers for contacts.

3. fuzz12345 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response Julien. Using Outlook 2003, but it looks like I need to upgrade to 2007.

4. elbirth macrumors 65816

yeah, definitely try Outlook 2007, it should most likely handle it for you.

or, if you want a better route, get a Mac :p
    My Mac's address book app holds all multiple numbers, email addresses, and custom labels just fine

5. slicecom macrumors 68020

Or, better yet, upgrade to a Mac! :p

6. fuzz12345 thread starter macrumors newbie

PC at home, PC at work. Guess I could go "borrow" me neighbors Mac.

Thanks for the Info, 07 here I cum.......

7. samklein macrumors newbie

Does Outlook 07 handle multiple labels

Were you successful in sync'ing specilaizes phone number labels with Outlook 07? Is there any other work around?

8. westernmass macrumors 6502

westernmass

I have 07 Outlook and it does not save the custom numbers either. Or I have not figured out how. I have my sister and husband on one contact and created Dee's Cell and Mark's Cell in thier contact on the phone. When I synch (before and after 2.0.2) it would delete the cell numbers from Outlook. It erased the numbers from Outlook but still show in the phone.

9. alFR macrumors 68020

Outlook's not really designed to work that way - a single contact isn't meant to be a whole load of people, it's meant to be a single person or a single company's generic contact details. Workaround - save the 6 people at ABC as separate contacts, but put ABC as the company name for all of them. You can then search by company name on the iPhone and pull them all up at once. This has the benefit that you can save other details for each of them if you need to as well.

westernmass: try putting them in as separate people, with the same home number but different cell etc. You'll find that the iPhone is smart enough that if you get a call from the home number it'll display both their names e.g. "John or Sarah Smith" as the caller ID, but the individual's name if they are calling from their unique cell number. Neat, eh?

10. HDJulie macrumors demi-goddess

You could also create each company as a different group & then put the individuals for that company under the group.

11. westernmass macrumors 6502

westernmass

Thanks I was to lazy to create the two names but I like that idea. :)