Multiple Phone Question

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Les Kern, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I have two iPhone 6+, one for home, one issued by my work. Is it easy to use the watch for both or does the watch need to be exclusive to one? I ask this for the obvious reason that I spend 1/2 my day with one phone, half with the other, and buying two watches is out of the question.
    Thanks,

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

3. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

You can use the watch with both phones but not at the same time. You would need to pair and unpair the watch twice per day as you moved from phone to phone. Not sure what would happen with things like Activity. The process to pair and unpair is not a short process. It takes a good 20-30 minutes to complete the process. Its slow so it would be a bummer. Easier would be to share data between the phones if you can.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As mentioned only if you unfair and re-pair to the new phone. The watch is designed to be associated with a single phone so apple has not made any decision choices to allow the watch to be used with multiple phones. Most people only own a single cell phone.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

And many people own multiple watches so Apple should make it easier to switch to a different AW on the fly for the different occasions. After all, it's more sale for them.

6. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

It isn't enough to change straps and faces?

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Some people may not want to wear their nicer SS for high-risk sport activities.

8. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

If the activity is too rough for my SS AW, I'm putting on my G-Shock instead, not another AW.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Some people may want to get the Sport as an extra watch so as not to miss out on activity tracking or notifications while on the go.

10. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

I'll put it this way --

I think both models of AW are tough enough to put up with most daily abuse. Whatever will damage the SS model will also damage the aluminum model. A cheap rubber case will help shield them from hard knocks and is much cheaper than a second AW.

The only places I don't want to take my AW so far is while working on my car and to the sauna. It'd be dumb to crack the screen with a wrench, and I don't trust the assembly glue to remain intact in the hot room at the sauna.

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I have a Rose gold Edition for some dress, a yellow gold Edition for other dress, a SS for everyday wear, a Space Black for business casual, a Sport for working out and a Space Gray for running.:D