Multiple Ports on an External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bienboy2710, Jul 10, 2008.

1. bienboy2710 macrumors newbie

yea just wondering if they make external hard drives with ports that allow you to connect in more than one spot. It's hard to explain.

Say there is an external hard drive with 2 usb ports on the hard drive. could you connect two of the usb ports to your computer to make it work faster? or would read/write speed not be fast enough that it would matter

if you do know any please post

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

No. Not that I know of. You're better off with either Firewire 800, or eSATA connection for example. You could daisy chain drives together with Firewire though.

3. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Unfortunately there's nothing like that exactly. To increase data transfer speeds, you'll need a drive that uses a fast type of connection. For example, FireWire 800 is very good choice, but not everyone has a FireWire 800 port on their computer.

The other way to make it transfer data faster is to get a drive with a higher RPM (revolutions per minute) -- the higher the number, the faster the drive spins. However, these drives usually have less space on them.

Most FireWire externals have two FireWire ports on them because it can be daisy chained. Plug the drive into the computer, and plug your digital camcorder, for example, into the drive. It makes it so you don't lose the only FireWire port on your computer. Note that USB does not work this way.

Hope that helps.

4. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

But USB is faster!!!

:rolleyes:

5. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Keep in mind that the hard drive inside the enclosure is still limited in access time and sustained throughput. So even if it were possible, the speed wouldn't increase because the hard drive inside is still sending data slower that FW400/USB2.0 on a consistent basis.

6. bienboy2710 thread starter macrumors newbie

sry just another q

are there any usb bus powered external hard drives with a 10k rpm?

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

If hope you're kidding.

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Actual bandwidth available of different ports. (Not theoretical maximum speed that are unobtainable, but actual performance).
    SATA > Firewire 800 > Firewire 400 > USB 2.0

Include drives.
    SATA > 10k drive> Firewire 800 > Most SATA and IDE 3.5" drive > Firewire 400 > USB 2.0

You can put a 10k drive into a usb enclosure. You can also burn your money. Same result.

USB cannot power anything larger than 2.5" (and sometimes it needs 2 ports to power a USB drive). Firewire has enough juice to power multiple drives with 1 port (for example LaCie Little Big Disk).

9. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

BOC.

What I'm kidding about is really the endless debate about the 480Mbps vs. 400 Mbps max throughput versus real-world performance and bus speed, etc. Because if I'm kidding about USB being faster then I know someone will say it is faster.

10. bienboy2710 thread starter macrumors newbie

how do i know if i have a firewire 800 port?

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Read your computer spes,

or go to Apple menu,
    About this Mac
    More info
    Firewire

If you have Firewire 800, it would say Up to 800 Mb/sec

12. Xtreambar macrumors regular

If you have a regular Macbook, you do not have a FW800 port, only a FW400 port. This port is still pretty damn fast, imho. I just wish the AEBS had a FW400 port instead of a USB2 port. I wonder if WiFi is just so slow that a FW400 port would just not make a difference when streaming from a HD connected to the AE.