Multiple problems after updating to 10.6.6

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BlakeLiebenTH, Jan 7, 2011.

1. BlakeLiebenTH macrumors member

Yesterday I upgraded my mid-2010 MacBook Pro to 10.6.6 using the combo update. I have never had any problems with this Mac, until now.

The problems were apparent right from the first post-update login; several icons in my dock were replaced with a '?' icon.

Being fairly knowledgeable about simple problems like this, I instantly dragged the '?' off the dock and re-added the application icons to the dock. That worked fine. So I turned my Mac off and walked off.

However, when I turned it on, the problem reared its ugly head again. The dock went back to exactly how it was prior to me rearranging it.

Brushing it off as something minor, I opened up iTunes to sync my iPad. This went fine until it got stuck syncing my contacts. I have tried to sync it multiple times with no luck. It simply won't let me sync it. I reinstalled iTunes, thinking that it may fix the problem. Still nothing.

Frustrated with my situation, I opened up Safari, and began to type something into the search bar. Safari froze up and crashed. Now, whenever I stay in Safari for more than a few seconds, it crashes. Again, I reinstalled it, to no avail.

I figured that perhaps something had gone wrong in the update progress, so I decided to apply the update again. Still nothing.

If anyone else is experiencing similar problems, or has any possible fixes for my problems, I'd love to hear about it.

I don't like to jump to conclusions, but it seems as though this update was pushed out as quickly as possible in order to launch the Mac App Store, without much bug-testing being done. But maybe it's just me.

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Before trying anything else reinstall the update using the combo updater from http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1349

This often fixes random update problems (I always use the combo update and have never had a problem)

3. BlakeLiebenTH thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the suggestion plinden, but I've already tried that (using the combo update).

It's just so strange, I've never had any issues with a Mac OS X update before, especially not a combo update.

4. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    you could always fresh install the version of 10.6 that came with your Mac and then run the combo on top of that (followed by running S/W Update) and see how you go.

should fix it.

before that you could try resetting the PRAM and (tho I doubt its effectiveness these days) repair disk permissions.

then shutdown.
    reset the SMC
    power up and see what's it like then.

if that fails then you are left with the option of backup all - erase and install and rebuild

5. BlakeLiebenTH thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your suggestions. I didn't really want to have to resort to doing anything major like that, but it looks like I may have to. Then again, an hour or so of repairing my Mac is nothing compared to the inconvenience this has caused me.

I will let you know how it all goes when I get back home :D

6. hinchesk macrumors member

Could be worse... you could be one of the folks unable to boot OS X after applying the update. Hopefully we all remember to run a backup just before applying OS X updates in the future, I know I will.

The update definitely isn't one of their best. Likely a combination of rushing to get out the App Store and people working over the holidays to meet a deadline when they'd rather not.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2710139&start=0&tstart=0

7. dalstott macrumors member

dalstott

I have the same MBP with a similar result from the 10.6.6 update and agree entirely with your comments. Below is the text from my post on the Apple discussions forum. I am back to 10.6.5 and have and am now using my 2010MBP with no problems whatsoever. Repeatedly applying the combo ad infinitum is not a solution to this update.

10.6.6 the premature update
    Posted: Jan 8, 2011 5:30 PM

I have been following the OS 10.6.6 problems and usually wait a day or two after the announcement before I upgrade in case there are problems . I always back up and do all disk maintenance as well as start the upgrade in safe mode.

My 2008 MBP was the first upgrade which installed with no problems. I used this machine for routine tasks all day and have had no problems at all.

I then felt confident enough to upgrade my 2010 MBP and the installation process completed without any problems. After the restart things turned ugly as my first click on the dock froze the computer. I then did all the maintenance tasks as well as a rebuild with DiskWarrior and the glitch continued. Both of these MBPs have almost identical software installed including files and programs.

I am a back up fanatic so at the moment I am well into restoring the OS 10.6.5 state of the 2010 MBP via Time Machine. I have a clone which can be used if for some reason the Time Machine restore fails.

This is the first time I have had a problem with an OS X upgrade starting with version 10.2.0. I think this upgrade was rushed to accommodate the announcement of the App Store without adequate testing. I'll be eagerly awaiting 10.6.7

Both MBPs were updated with the 10.6.6 combo version which I always use.

Since I am batting .500 in the 10.6.6 game I don't have any urgency
    to update the 2010 machine from which I am making this post with
    10.6.5. I'll wait for 10.6.7 or even 10.7.0.