multiple problems involving firefox, photoshop cs, and wacom intuos 3 tablet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tirethminet, Sep 2, 2008.

1. tirethminet macrumors newbie

really. problems galore. i think i might be technology-cursed.

first off, specs: macbook3,1 - osx 10.5.4 - intel core 2 duo, 2ghz - 2gb memory - 232.89gb capacity, 5.14gb free - bought jan08.
    (i am working on clearing more space by burning things to dvd, but i did not have to insight to get a superdrive and mom's dvd software has become defunct after one disk burned.)

the first and easiest to explain will be the firefox problem. i recently downloaded the new version of firefox and now every time i open firefox and click on the "window" menu at the top of the screen, there is second "window" aside from the one i have open saying "XmlLayer". i have no clue what it's for and would love to know if and how i can remove it. it is an empty window spot and sometimes works it's way in front of the main window so that i can not access firefox. at all.

second problem. i have photoshop cs and every time i run it, no matter how many files or layers i have open, it manages to eat 3-4gb of hard drive space. there literally is 3-4gb less open space on my disk drive. is there any way to prevent this (therefore preventing my macbook from overheating and making the fan run like a hairdryer.) or should i look into cs2 or cs3?
    now that i'm looking at activity monitor, "kind" says powerpc, but i have intel, might that be the problem? and does cs2/3 run on intel instead of powerpc?

third problem. i have a wacom intuos 3 tablet and many times i plug it in and the blue light at the top flashes 3-4 times and goes out, meaning there is no power running to the tablet and i must unplug and replug multiple times to see if it will work.
    when it is working, scrolling windows slows to a crawl and lags. in photoshop, work completely freezes for a few minutes at a time and the cursor stays at whatever tool it was using, even when i switch to another app.
    i do understand that it might be a driver problem, but i have tried all of the osx driver downloads offered on the wacom website, and the one i am currently using has turned best results. the others did not even recognize the tablet for the system preferences window, and the tablet worked even less than with the driver i am using now. (which is not the most current one)

side questions about physical problems that do not affect the way my macbook runs. (i'm sorry i can't think of the actual word for that right now. it is way after my bedtime.)
    i understand that the crack at the palm rest will be replaced under warranty. (for which i will have to find the nearest applestore soon.) but i also have a chip out of the middle of my screen. i have no clue how it got there, but does anyone know if it is also covered under warranty? (it's not like i chuck heavy objects at my screen.) lastly, does anyone know if the applestore would be kind enough to clean all of the dirt and dust out from underneath my keyboard? and maybe the surfaces of the keys, too? they're black at the corners. i would try to do it myself, but that would a) break warranty and b) take more patience than i have taking the pieces apart, cleaning them, and putting everything back together. and maybe fixing loose usb plugs? i really have no clue why my mac is so worn out. :[

thank you all in advance for any help you might give.
    i even thank you for reading all the way through and giving me an "i have no clue what's going on, but good luck" comment. ;]
    and sorry for not being able to explain things very well.
    but i really wouldn't come here for a stupid simple problem, and i do try to find solutions, but i always seem to get problems no one else has.

2. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

may I be the first to suggest a leopard re-install?

3. tirethminet thread starter macrumors newbie

you will be the first to suggest anything.
    and i might actually fall to that after i get my dvd burner.
    i would want to back everything up before reinstalling the os.
    even if it isn't supposed to affect the files, i would still want to, just to be sure.
    i've had enough problems with my old pc laptop and external hard drive to warrant being double-sure everything is backed up.