Multiple query to MySQL to update dropdown and text box

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by puzzledking, Oct 17, 2014.

1. puzzledking macrumors newbie

i have
    editlistingnew.php
    PHP:
    <?php 
    include_once 'EditSittingList.php';
    connect()
    ?>

<body>

<select id="sel_SittingType" name="sel_SittingType" >
            <?php 
            dropboxlist
    ()

?>
        </select>

<textarea rows="4" cols="50">
    </textarea>

<?php close()?>
    </body>

and editsittinglist.php
    PHP:
    <?php
    include 'db.php';
    ?>
    <body>
    <?php
    function connect(){     

mysql_connect(DB_HOST,DB_USER,DB_PASS) or die('could not connect' mysql_error());

mysql_select_db(DB_NAME);
           }

function 
    dropboxlist(){
    $result mysql_query ("SELECT SitterType FROM POSTS WHERE UserName = 'mike'"); 
             while (
    $record mysql_fetch_array($result)){
             echo 
    '<option value="' $record['SitterType'] . '">' .$record['SitterType'] . ' </option>';
             }    
        }

function 
    textboxarea(){        
    }

function 
    close(){

mysql_close();
    }
    ?>
    with databas 3 columns UserName SitterType and SitterAvailiable, currently the dropbox works perfectly in gets the array and displays them. but what i want is when a user selects the sitter type to be 'baby' i want the text box/area to update with whats in the database.

2. pixelcoder macrumors newbie

pixelcoder

You need to define a form in your html to give the selection back with either a GET or a POST request. Next you have to read the data from the request and define your textboxarea function to fetch the matching data by defining your SitterType as an additional WHERE clause. But please sanitize/escape every parameter you use in your SQL query in order to avoid SQL injection (with MySQL look right here for example).
    By the way, there is a second <body> tag in your EditSittingList.php that shouldn't be there.
    Generally speaking you should use a PDO connection, this makes stuff a lot easier when getting into OOP (Object Orientated Programming). I recommend you to work with classes right away.