Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shadow82x

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
New Jersey
ETA - This is an Iphone 7 Plus - 256gb matte black

I'm assuming this is tied to the whole "Hiss Gate" thing but while recording videos I consistently get high-frequency pitches and chirps. Does this occur with anyone else?

I've been in touch with Apple Care/Support Engineers and even Executive Relations and they don't seem to have a clue here.

Here is an example video I made in an isolated, quiet environment. (Under bed covers.) if you put your volume up you should be able to audibly hear it.

I've tested noise cancellation on and off, no change.

I've gone through multiple phones regarding this hissing, and sadly, all of them hiss to an extent and apparently it comes out in video recordings too.

This is my first iPhone in years after moving from Android and I must say, I'm really starting to regret it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildo6882

shadow82x

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
New Jersey
Does this occur to anyone else? Apple thinks I'm pretty crazy for complaining about this consistently, am I? o.0 Would you complain over something like this?

You can easily test by going into a quiet environment and recording.

shadow82x

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
New Jersey
This is also noticeable in voice memos and calls using speakerphones. Or in other words, anything that using that mic on the back.

DaIfoneboss

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2011
My Nexus 6P does squealing and hissing more in videos audio then my 7 Plus does in a very quiet, for what its worth..

shadow82x

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
New Jersey
My Nexus 6P does squealing and hissing more in videos audio then my 7 Plus does in a very quiet, for what its worth..
Does your 7 Plus sound like mine in videos? I'm just trying to determine if this is normal or not. If it is, I'd stop fighting with apple heh.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Yes my 4.7 inch JB has this and also there is a louder ticking sound.

I believe they all have this along with some sort of uneven part in the LCD.

Some of us can see and hear these things and it drives us NUTS while many other don't notice or care about these things.

My phones LCD is uneven and his a pinkish tint (upper left quadrant noticeable on white backgrounds) and a yellow bright band towards the bottom by home button.

I've been through the exchange game with my iPhone 6 (too many times, every replacement had the same or worse or different problem with LCD,shifting FaceTime camera etc.) so I'm just trying to live with it based off of my past experiences. Maybe towards the end of warranty I might try my luck with a replacement but I'm not going to get my hopes up! Just got to keep the OCD under control! Really the phone works fine and the battery life is great. I feel both sides of the argument.

I dropped $750 on this thing and it should be perfect out of the box.

Nothing is perfect and never will be and I shouldn't be so ridiculous and wasteful returning these phones when resources are slim to make all this stuff in the first place.

But there is pink in the screen!!!! And I hear ticking and hissing in my videos!!!

Chill out dude they are all probably like that or worse in some other way don't take the chance.

The struggle is real!!! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

shadow82x

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
New Jersey
Thanks for your feedback all, I won't worry about it. It is annoying, simply because I came from a Galaxy Note 7 and it was totally silent. (Only explosions were an issue ;) )

I was just curious if this occurred on every i7, which it seems like it does. I understand electronics make noise, I guess this is what's happening and the mics are picking up on it.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Here's what mine sounds like. I can hear this same noise when I put my ear up under the camera.

kawa636r

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2016
Spain
ETA - This is an Iphone 7 Plus - 256gb matte black

I'm assuming this is tied to the whole "Hiss Gate" thing but while recording videos I consistently get high-frequency pitches and chirps. Does this occur with anyone else?

I've been in touch with Apple Care/Support Engineers and even Executive Relations and they don't seem to have a clue here.

Here is an example video I made in an isolated, quiet environment. (Under bed covers.) if you put your volume up you should be able to audibly hear it.

I've tested noise cancellation on and off, no change.

I've gone through multiple phones regarding this hissing, and sadly, all of them hiss to an extent and apparently it comes out in video recordings too.

This is my first iPhone in years after moving from Android and I must say, I'm really starting to regret it.

i had got the same trouble and fixed it only after 4 replacements

shadow82x

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
New Jersey
I've had 3 replacements, I dunno what to even think anymore. Exec relations is so fed up with my like I'm making up this sound that occurs. It's annoying that it shows up in videos, voice memos, snapchats, etc. Since I'm far from an apple store when I'm at school I might just wait till I'm home again and raise hell at an apple store...there I can actually prove what is happening.

What's even more bothersome is it looks like some phones are fine, like the video posted by @StaceyMJ86 .
[doublepost=1478340548][/doublepost]
If you can, could you post the week manufacturing for the device that is actually working? It can be found at http://sndeep.info/en . Both of my devices with the high pitch squeal are week 40. I'm wondering if this was a QA issue and it was fixed eventually.

kawa636r

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2016
Spain
I've had 3 replacements, I dunno what to even think anymore. Exec relations is so fed up with my like I'm making up this sound that occurs. It's annoying that it shows up in videos, voice memos, snapchats, etc. Since I'm far from an apple store when I'm at school I might just wait till I'm home again and raise hell at an apple store...there I can actually prove what is happening.

What's even more bothersome is it looks like some phones are fine, like the video posted by @StaceyMJ86 .
[doublepost=1478340548][/doublepost]
If you can, could you post the week manufacturing for the device that is actually working? It can be found at http://sndeep.info/en . Both of my devices with the high pitch squeal are week 40. I'm wondering if this was a QA issue and it was fixed eventually.

i've tried week 37, 39, 40, 41 and i've solved with this one week 43.

shadow82x

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
New Jersey
Interesting..so it's basically a gamble to get a week 43+ device. ugh.
[doublepost=1478347920][/doublepost]
i've tried week 37, 39, 40, 41 and i've solved with this one week 43.
Did you get the week 43 in a store or through a mail swap?

shadow82x

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
New Jersey
Interesting, instead of doing the mail in replacement I'll try in store around Thanksgiving time. That'll give them time to get new stock heh.

RvXtm

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2011
Timisoara, Romania
No hiss here, but also i got the second "batch" that arrived (ios 10.0.2 default on it) always avoid the first batches of the production line.

shadow82x

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
New Jersey
So I went to the Apple Store and they pretty much thought I was bsing them. They couldn't hear anything in the videos I recorded since it's obviously a loud environment in the store. They also tried to record a video, which of course isn't optimal,since AGAIN, it's loud in an Apple Store and you only hear this while recording in quiet environments.

This was one of the videos I showed and they claim there was "no hissing noise" in the background.

Is my hearing off or does apple just not want to own up to this issue?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.