Multiple same PC's how to clone system ?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by joecool99, Aug 2, 2010.

1. joecool99 Suspended

joecool99

i'm about to install new computer setup at work with multiple of the same PC desktop's and laptop's.

This would be a piece of cake with MAC, using target disc mode and clone each stations with same setup.

BUT how to do this in the Windows environment ? :(
    Any easy way. I really don't want to install each individually = huge waste of time.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Google sysprep and imagex.

B

3. ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

You can use Symantec Ghost or Acronis. Google sysprep and WINPE.

Create a WINPE key USB key. Build your reference computer, this will be configured with the specific software and hardware. Sysprep your machine. After it shutdown, boot it up with the WINPE USB key. Use ghost to back up the computer to an image file.

On your target computer, boot up with WINPE USB key. Use ghost restore the image to the new computer. Reboot, and sysprep will run and take care joining a domain (if specified earlier), or rename the computer.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

5. Kaviar macrumors member

Kaviar

Acronis or Ghost get my vote.

I use Acronis at home but when I used to work in a high school we used Ghost to deploy an 'install' to a room full of 30 or so computers at a time over the Network! Great time saver.

I wouldn't have a clue how to do that as I've only just got a Mac. It doesn't mean Mac's are bad (or in your case Windows is bad) It's just something new.

Give Ghost or Acronis ago. There awesome bit's of kit :)

6. joecool99 thread starter Suspended

joecool99

With Ghost and Acronis - the installation image still needs to be prepared with windows PE tool to prevent the identical SID ?

windows PE seems rather complicated to use.

ps: how do you deploy the image over ethernet network ?

7. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

The best is Acronis, and you can download the software for free if you have a Seagate or Western Digital HDD
    +1 vote

8. Kaviar macrumors member

Kaviar

All you need to do is install the 'master' system as if you would normally, make an image and then deploy it to the other systems.

Non networked would be a chore if you had a massive room of systems but if there's only a few you could boot Acronis/Ghost form a USB flash drive and then load the image from a USB hard drive attached to the system.

As for networking, It's been a good 5 years since I used Ghost to deploy images over a network. I just don't know how it works these days might have changed with the newer versions.

I found this guide but I don't remember it being this complicated at all.
    http://ghost.radified.com/ghost_network.htm