Multiple "sections" of icons on desktop for different things

Discussion in 'macOS' started by djsound, Nov 5, 2018.

1. djsound macrumors 6502a

djsound

Not sure how else to describe this but I was hoping that I could somehow do this....

I always have my desktop icons arranged by type. I HATE having icons all over the place.....BUT. I wish that I could somehow have my "music making stuff" arranged by type on the left of my screen.......then my "graphic design work" arranged my type on the right hand side.......the reason is because it takes awhile to read through them all when they are all arranged together...it would save a lot of time for me if they were separated (but still arranged by type.........any ideas? =)

2. chown33 macrumors 604

I'd use windows. One window for each. Arrange each one as desired. Place each one as desired.

Think of them as palettes or toolboxes instead of windows.

I even name mine with the word "Tools", as in "Drawing Tools", "Admin Tools", "Network Tools", etc.

3. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

Windows? Sorry I dont follow...like spaces? How could you have different desktop icons though.?

4. chown33 macrumors 604

You could try Spaces.

Or you could try actual windows.

The way you've described things, you want to use your Desktop as if it were a single whole-screen window. The difficulty is that a single window is only a single window, with a single layout. My suggestion is to not use the actual Desktop. Instead, make a window with the elements for the right side. Make another window with the elements for the left side. Move, arrange, place them separately, and they will remain separate, because they're 2 separate windows.

What you gain: separate layouts.
    What you lose: a single unified background picture.

Maybe there's a 3rd-party app that lets you customize Finder window backgrounds. It used to be a feature in Finder's Icon View (Show View Options > Window background).

5. chabig macrumors 603

Keep folders on your desktop for "Music making stuff" and "Graphic design work". That's what folders and directories do--keep things organized.

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

You're asking for trouble if these icons are files. There are many more ways to accidently mess things up that are on the Desktop. Use aliases of the files or folders.

I'd try...
    1. Rename them. Give each grouping you want to have a unique first character, then arrange by Name.
    2. Forget that^ if you don't like the idea. Arrange by Snap to Grid, and move them where you want them.