Multiple Sending Email Addresses In Mail

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lexus, Jul 2, 2008.

1. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

Is there any way to set multiple email addresses to send from instead of adding new accounts?

I have some email addresses I need to send from from time to time and those emails to those addresses are forwarded to my main addresses.

I want to be able to select them in the new mail window.

Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can only send from an email address that has been set up as an account. Why would you not want to set up an account, if you want to send from that address?

3. lexus thread starter macrumors 68000

lexus

Because I would get the email twice and I have thirty or so email addresses like that.

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yep

It's easy, yo. I send from four different accounts, but only receive from one.

Under Mail Preferences, under accounts, put your email addresses separated by commas, i.e. tdhurst@mac.com, tyler@kontaktmag.com, tyler@tdhurst.com

Then add smtp servers that correspond to those email addresses. You don't have to do this with ALL email addys, only some. I use one server when I'm at home on Cox and other servers wherever else they work.

THEN, when you go to write a message, you'll be given the option of which email account and which smtp server to use. Works like a charm for me.

Oh, there's a box you need to uncheck regarding using ONLY that smtp server. If it's checked you won't have the multiple smtp option.

It's way, way easier than I'm making it sound.

5. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

That doesn't sound so difficult, btw. One thing I think is may be confusing is that you don't need to assign an smtp server to each address specifically. You can use any email address and any smtp server for an email, except that some smtp servers may not accept outbound email from an address other than their domain and you can't always use an smtp server other than your cable co's if they've blocked certain ports.

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

You are correct. I do that just to make sure I have options no matter where I am. I hate sending an email, waiting for it not to be sent, have the try another server message come up and then changing it. I also know that the email addy doesn't have to match the smtp server, but I do that just to be sure (really don't have an explanation for that one).

It eliminates some of the guesswork at the beginning.

7. Peabody macrumors regular

Nice hint Tyler. I've been looking for exactly this fix (many addresses forwarded to 1) so I don't have that myriad of crap going on in mail.

Too bad this behavior doesn't carry forward to the iPhone mail interface. Oh well, one more gripe in the land of many.

Anyway, on the SMTP thing: mac.com won't send emails from other domains, just tried that and it laughed at me...

8. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yep

Haven't figured out the iPhone part either. Maybe with 2.0.

yeah, some smtp servers work, some don't. I know that cox works at home, gmail works nearly everywhere and kontaktmag works most.

9. dmblue macrumors member

nice tip tyler!!

but just a few questions

what do you put for the other settings.. i am kinda confused on how to set this up ( im new to mac)

if somebody has a link to a step by step or something that would be cool!

thanks again

10. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

hmmm?

You mean the incoming and outgoing settings? Those are email/ISP specific.

11. dmblue macrumors member

right... but if you just seperate the email address with comma's and then add the server info? wont it just download the mail?

and if i have 3 emails from different places.. how can i put 3 different settings in 1 place..

12. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Well wait a minute. Now that me.com is working check this out

[​IMG]

Seems like you can just add pops in there to pull email

AND

[​IMG]

Set up aliases!

13. dmblue macrumors member

thats just great!!!!

i ended up forwarding all my other emails to my.mac but now i can do it like this.