Multiple Spaces (desktops) in MacOS

Discussion in 'macOS' started by - rob -, Dec 29, 2016.

1. - rob - macrumors regular

- rob -

Anyone else use multiple spaces (desktops) on MacOS?

I have a number of different jobs / projects I work at a given time. About a month ago I adopted Spaces.

In some ways, I'm finding it lets me get to work quickly.

However, if I need to say restart chrome or restart the computer, my spaces just fall apart.

I find myself often managing browser windows that shouldn't be in certain places.

I also find the fact that MacOS won't let you give a text name to a space, ie you get Desktop 1, Desktop 2, etc, makes it even harder to quickly see where a given window should go.

I see a lot of people talking about how macs need to be more powerful, but to effectively project switch I really need the OS to allow true multitasking.

Who cares if the computer is fast if you have big jumble of personal and professional things all mixed together. You should be able to set a context that covers everything from browser history to a payment type and even terminal shell preferences.

Naturally, this should be handled by the OS. But I find the overall support pretty darn weak.

Anyone else use spaces and have good tips or 3rd party tools to improve what Apple has done?

2. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

Yes, I use spaces all the time. The best suggestion I have is to assign apps to specific desktops. This can be accomplished by opening the app(s) in question and then setting them to the desired desktop space, then right clicking(or control+click) and hovering over "Assign to" and selecting "This Desktop". I typically use that for apps I only wish to assign to a particular space, inversely I also utilize a separate option in the "Assign To" menu denoted as "All Desktops" for any apps that I need to appear in all of my spaces.

This may also help you out.. https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21872?locale=en_US

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Also, if you are using one browser for two different purposes, you'll have to manually drag one window to a different Desktop. If that is part of the problem your having with losing the setup you have, a solution would be to use different browsers. Sure, that uses more memory, but you can install more if that's what you need to do.

4. - rob -, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017

- rob - thread starter macrumors regular

- rob -

This doesn't always work. For example with browsers. But also an IDE like Pycharm. Where you have the same app open to show two different windows which need to be in different spaces. Though in looking at the apps I use, it looks like there are some work arounds.
    Thanks for that suggestion. I prefer to run Chrome almost everywhere. It looks like you can run multiple instances of Chrome using Chromium. I may give that a go.

Also, it looks like it is possible to run multiple instances of Pycharm. That would allow me to lock coding windows to specific spaces.

I use Terminal across multiple spaces also, but it looks like i can similarly run multiple different terminal apps like terminal and iTerm2.

Another reason this is a problem for me is that I run a number of web apps. I've gotten to where I can build App-level instances of them using a utility called Fluid.

Maybe I just need to spend more time customizing.

It would still be nice to be able to label those Desktops rather than 1, 2 or 3. I may go for customizing the wallpaper on each desktop also so it is more clear which is which.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Still one browser. Second window will open in the same Space as the first.

6. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Thanks for that tip!