Multiple Thunderbolt Displays - Configurations

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tn9design, Aug 10, 2012.

1. tn9design macrumors member

tn9design

For those of us running multiple thunderbolt displays: How do you output your Audio/Video/Mic?

For Audio and Video I usually only use my leftmost display however recently I created an Aggregate audio device that pushes the left channel audio to the left display and right channel audio to the right display for more of a Stereo sound.

[​IMG]

The downside to setting up the aggregate device is losing the ability to control audio volume from the keyboard but I have just set the max volume where I like it and turn it down via the music program's built in slider if I need it lower.

How do you handle audio/video with your multi-thunderbolt setups?

2. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I have an ATD and a 27" iMac, which is like having two 27" ATDs, and I send audio/video/mic to the ATD, which is my primary display.

3. tn9design thread starter macrumors member

tn9design

Have you played around with creating an Aggregate Audio device that plays sound out of both at the same time? I was ok with with the audio quality before but having them both pushing out sound sounds even better.

4. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

No I have not. I use the ATD as my primary display and the iMac is angled off to the right next to it, so if I used each unit as a separate speaker, I'd have messed up stereo separation. :)

5. McGilli macrumors 6502

Hww do you guys do this (Aggregate audio device)?

I started a thread asking if this was possible about 3 months ago and was told it was not possible, and could not find any info on making this work...

any help appreciated!

UPDATE - is this what I am looking for?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1215?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The T/Bolt displays have built in speakers...That's what you need to use that config. I run my Imac 27" through my Onkyo AV system and mirror to a Sony Bravia 46" TV as well as a smaller monitor at times. Been looking at buying another T/bolt display as I'm planning on getting a Pro when the refresh fianlly comes down the line.

The Sony displays pretty well though, and I don't really need anything bigger than a 46" screen...

7. McGilli macrumors 6502

Hey awesome, thanks.

I have my desktop speakers now outputting as they were, and the TB speakers only using their respective right or left channel to compliment my speakers and give me a wider soundstage.

8. willcapellaro macrumors 6502

Wanted to check if you still use the aggregate device feature and if it still has the same problem of no audio control via keyboard.

Idly curious, my wife and I only have the iMac for now.