multiple time machine backups on the same drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hajime, Aug 14, 2014.

1. hajime macrumors 601

Hello, many years ago, I used Time Machine to backup. I recall my OS was Leopard or Snow Leopard. If I use Time Machine to back up my current system running 10.8.5, will the system get confused and mess up the backups? Will current one overwrite previous backups?

2. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Time Machine does not overwrite backups. It continues to do backups until your backup drive runs out of space. At that time, Time Machine will start to delete your oldest backups to make room for your newest backups.

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks. So, I can use Time Machine to back up different Macs running different versions of Mac OS using the same external hard drive. Right?

4. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I thought you were talking about using it on a Mac that you had upgraded the OS on. Did not realize you were talking about different Macs. Pretty sure the answer is no, that the drive would have to be formatted again, but will leave that for someone else to answer as I am not 100% sure.

5. rigormortis, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

i believe this is true. i haven't actually tried #2

in order to back up more then one mac on one external hard disk you need either:

1) A Time Capsule Wireless Router.

or

2) an external hard disk divided up to multiple partitions. one partition for each computer.

i think #2 is true. if its no longer true then it probably still is the safest thing to do. i thought os x put a token
    or a file in the root dir of each hard disk and doesn't like more then one backup set on one partition

like "com.apple.time machine.supported" or something

yeah i knew i was sorta right. the time machine faq also recommends putting it in separate partitions
    http://pondini.org/TM/4.html